Hello.

I heard many good things about acupuncture from my friends and relatives. So, I decided to give it a chance. I thought, why not, after all, it cannot do much harm. I went to the one reputable salon and all went pretty smooth. I was very pleased and, I must admit, relaxed like never before.

But, two days after "treatment" I started to experience pain on few places of my body: in the back, along right leg, neck, elbow... It is not very strong, but it’s persistent and boring.

Now, I am a little concerned. Is this pain normal after first time? Or something is wrong?

Health Advisor

Hello, SomeGuy.

The point of acupuncture is that you feel better, both mentally and physically. Your sleep will improve, you will have more energy and you'll be less stressed. 

Rarely, acupuncture can cause some unpleasant side effects such as : lightheadedness, muscle twitching, soreness, bruising... It can be caused from damaged nerves or broken blood vessels. 

You can ease pain by drinking plenty of fluids because your body needs to get rid of toxins.

Of course, you need to see your acupuncturist once again and tell him/her about pain. Only then you can determine the true cause of your pain.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

You should make sure you're seeing a licensed acupuncturist

Pain after acupuncture is just one of the side effects of the therapy. You should visit an Acupuncturist with years of training to evaluate your condition to avoid the development of another major problem. Or you can call the salon where your therapy took place, and tell them to follow up your problem.