Hello. I am a girl 19 years old and I am a bit overweight. I am constantly on diets, but nothing seems to help. I really don't know what else to try. I heard from my best friend that acupuncture helps you to loose weight? Is this true? Could you tell me something more about it? I would be grateful.

Acupuncture is done by licensed acupuncturist, and the treatment can last about half an hour - more or less. The pins are inserted into the skin, and the nerves are being stimulated this way. Being stimulated - they work better. It helps you to relax, to get rid of toxins, etc. There are a number of cases about loosing weight, however, there is no proven link between acupuncture, and loosing weight.

Hi Norrie,

Acupuncture weight loss treatments are actually pretty popular in the US nowadays. The theory goes that overweight people have imbalanced digestive systems, and that acupuncture weight loss treatment can help you lose weight by strengthening your digestive system and helping you control your appetite. Some theories even suggest that acupuncture speeds up your metabolism causing you to burn calories at a faster rate.

However, acupuncture treatments alone are not enough to result in weight loss in a short time-frame. Many patients undergoing an acupuncture weight loss program only report significant results after about a year, and when you consider your first visit would cost $50-$125 with additional treatments ranging anywhere from $30-$80, just 2 treatments a week for 1 year would set you back anywhere from $4,000 to $8,000.

Most modern acupuncturists, however, do give you basic advice on diet and nutrition and offer you an individualized supplement program which includes vitamins, minerals and herbal antioxidants that will support your diet and balance your blood sugar levels so your body has the optimum nutrition to support a healthy diet and lifestyle.

At the end of the day, acupuncture can help, but don’t expect to lose much fat with acupuncture alone. Improving your diet so you’re eating less junk and more healthy foods, and increasing your physical activity with regular fat-burning aerobic exercise and strength training, are what’s going to strip that fat off your body.

If you do decide to give acupuncture a go, choose a practitioner who is certified by the National Certification Commission For Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (NCCAOM) to avoid a “cowboy” poking needles in your body!

Hope that helps.

Warmest,

Joseph Cole