Hi, I am 43 years old male and I had neck injury several months ago. I was playing basketball with my friends and I've got hit in the neck. Since then I started to feel sharp pain and my moves were limited. I decided to visit my doctor who sends me to x-ray and he told me that my cervical spine is damaged. He suggested me an operation where would be done cervical spine fusion. I have accepted it but after surgery I am experiencing pain in my right arm and my muscles are becoming weaker in that hand.
I hope someone had similar experience.

Hi, my friend also had operation of spinal fusion but his leg was affected. After operation he felt constant pain and muscles on his leg became weaker. After he complained to his doctor he sends him the MR and he said that pain is consequence of operation. I suggest you to visit your doctor soon and told him what is going on. If there was mistake during surgery procedure it has to be corrected.

My experience with this procedure (4 wks post-op) has been extremely varied. All of the intense headaches and arm pains were relieved immediately by the surgery. I had a 4-level fusion. I now have intermitten pains in various parts of my arms and have general upper body weakness. My MD prepared me for this. Various pain is expected and normal during the early stages of healing but you should have resolution in about 10-12 wks. At this time you should have a good indication about your level of pain, which is related to scar tissue and recalcification of bone of the nerve routes. After this time, physical therapy for about one year to regain optimal strength and coordnation. I take a medicine called Lyrica which greatly helps with the nerve pain. It does fog your mind a bit, but the trade-off is worth it to me! I also have an electronic bone growth stimulator which I wear 4 hours per day. This also seems to aid in pain management.