Hello! My father is fifty eight and he suffers from hypertension and diabetes. Although he knows how weak his health is he still smokes. I noticed he has been confused more then usual and that he started to forget things. His doctor told me that these symptoms may be the first signs of vascular dementia. Is vascular dementia preventable?

Hello! Yes, vascular dementia is preventable. First of all your father has to cease smoking. He has to treat his hypertension and of course to treat his diabetes. You have to take him to his doctor to arrange all necessary examinations and tests in order to prescribe the appropriate treatment. It is proven that prevention of further worsening of vascular dementia is possible by treating the underlying diseases such as hypertension or diabetes mellitus. You have to help your father to try to change his habits.