Good day everyone. My dad has a diabetes since I know for myself. For the last two years, I was diagnosed with diabetes as well. I didn't pay that much attention on it because I believed that with good food and healthy diet, and insulin of course, I am safe. Until today. My friend told me that I should pay much more attention on this issue because if I don't look after me and if I don't take care of my diabetes, I can easily get a stroke. What? Never heard of it? Did she tried to scare me? What is the link between diabetes and a stroke?

Tnx a lot!

HI Ivy,

Circulatory problems are common in diabetes patients.  That can increase your risk of stroke and blindness.  It can lead to amputations too.

Keep your blood sugar in check - please!

I never assumed that there is a link between diabetes and a stroke. And I don't remember that my doctor ever mentioned me something about "circulatory problems". I have to tell you that I was living with the knowledge that everything is OK and that all I need to do is to control my diabetes and that nothing else can actually happen to me. Until I found out that diabetes can lead to a stroke...
And the blindness? Never heard about this as well :/ And amputation is also a new thing for me. I guess that I was not informed well....
I am checking blood sugar all the time.
Is there anything else what I can do?
Thank you, thank you!

Managing your diabetes is the best thing you can do for your health. Really.

Hi there everyone,

Well, multiple studies proved that diabetes puts you at risk of conditions such as heart disease, stroke, and kidney failure, but a healthy lifestyle and insulin treatments can help keep your risk low.

I don't think that it can cause a stroke, instead, diabetes makes it harder for your body to respond to a stroke. When your oxygen supply is cut off, other arteries can usually serve as a bypass. But if you have diabetes, those vessels may be hardened or clogged with plaque, a condition known as atherosclerosis. This makes it harder for blood to get to your brain.

Hi guys,

Medic Dan is right, you just need to take good care of your diabetes. If you are taking a good care of your diabetes, your risk of having a stroke or any other cardiovascular problems are no higher than of those in people without diabetes.

You can also consult a dietitian if you think that you are prone to having a stroke. He can give you some tips and tell you something about heart healthy diets. With controlling you diabetes, eating a proper diet and regular exercise, not you nor anyone else should be in trouble of having a stroke or other heart related problems.

Hey there,

My uncle has diabetes and for quite some time he didn't pay much attention to it, that is until he had a stroke. His doctor even told him at the very moment he was diagnosed with it that people who have diabetes are two to four times more likely to have a stroke than people who do not have diabetes, and that they also tend to develop heart disease or have strokes at an earlier age than people without diabetes. My uncle didn't care and didn't pay attention to her words. Some time later, he had a stroke and now he is really taking good care of himself.

Hi Ivy,

What happens here is that people with diabetes end up with too much glucose in their blood, while their cells don’t receive enough energy. Over time, this glucose can lead to increased fatty deposits or clots on the insides of the blood vessel walls. These clots can narrow or block the blood vessels in the brain or neck, cutting off the blood supply, stopping oxygen from getting to the brain and causing a stroke.

Like people already told you, to best way to prevent a stroke (in your case) is to take proper care of your diabetes and diet can really help as well.

Ou, thank you so much! I really was so much scared about this whole situation and I believed that there is nothing that I can do that can help me. Managing my diabetes is something very easy for me, really. I mean, I am doing that from the moment I found out that I am dealing with diabetes. @Adria 18 - Thank you so much for this tip, I am sure that I am going to do this as soon as I can. I am trying to maintain proper diet program and I am trying to eat healthy as much as I can, but your advice about consulting dietitian seems like an amazing idea. Thank you.

Hi there!

It can be really bad you know? It must be controlled like you already know. And very often.  As you probably know, diabetes is a condition caused by too much glucose in the blood. If not treated or controlled well, diabetes can increase your risk of stroke and it happened in so many cases. The symptoms of diabetes and strokes are pretty much the same. You need to change your lifestyle and your old, bad habits as well. This is the only way to prevent having a stroke even if you are dealing with diabetes. Good luck there! 

Hello. Like others already told you, you need to maintain and check your blood sugar. It is very important to keep your blood sugars within a recommended range, and this is sometimes called controlling your blood sugar levels. This procedure usually requires regular monitoring of blood sugar levels. If you have Type 1 diabetes, you should check your blood sugar levels about 4 to 6 times per week. If you have type 2 of diabetes, thank you should definitely consult your doctor and see how often you need to check your blood sugar, but it should be checked at least two times per day. It should be checked often as well.