My mother has been suffering from the acute kidney insufficiency and doctor said that she has to start with the dialysis. I know that this means her life will be a complete mess from now on, but we will help as much as possible. But still, I am afraid of those therapies. How often does dialysis cause sepsis?

Acute kidney insufficiency causes the termination of the kidney’s function. This means that accumulated materials (toxins) in the organism has to be flushed out and that is why the body need the dialysis. As for the sepsis, it can attack if the instruments in the process of the dialysis were not sterilized properly. So there is a possibility for sepsis to occur, but it is far from being common.

Well, first of all I am so sorry that you and your mother are facing difficult days and that you will have to change your life style significantly.

When our kidneys are working properly they are responsible to clean our blood. But once they fail we need treatment which will replace the work of our kidneys. This treatment is called dialysis.

There are two types of dialysis: hemodialysis and peritoneal dialysis and both types filter our blood to get rid our body of harmful toxins, extra salt and water.   

Both of these types have their advantages and risks, but getting sepsis is not one of these risks. At least this is not something that is common and that is happening often. And dialysis requires special diet as well.

You need to check your facts before you post!!! Staph infections, including sepsis, are one of the most dangerous side effects of dialysis and occurs quite often!! I write this as I sit in the hospital praying for a miracle to save my moms life because of this very thing!!!!

My father is extremely sick and in the Iuc right now, he is septic and they have started dialysis to see if it can help. How is your mother. I hope she made it thru and is getting better.