Had a root canal. The first 2 days OK. But after those 2 days, above the tooth hurts. The pain comes and goes. It also hurts when you press on the gum area above the tooth. The endodontist swears there is no infection. There is no abscess either. He says to give it a few more weeks. It's been just over 1 week already. I thought the pain was getting better, but today it seems I am back at square one. I am still on the antibiotics. Have a few more days left. Please help.

I have had 3 root canals. The pain you are having is normal and is the left over from the actual procedure. Did you watch your dentist perform the rc? Yikes, remember, he has to stick those little tiny picks straight into your tooth, which then strips the nerve. All the pushing and twisting up into your gum is awful. Kind of when you fall down, you feel okay when you stand up, but the next day you feel like you got run over by a train.
I didn't feel myself for at least 2 weeks after, very sensitive at the site of the procedure. If your dentist has checked you out since and has given you a clean bill of health as far as your root canal, i would say just wait it out for a while longer. If it persists or starts to get worse, i would insist that your dentist take another look.
Did the dentist x-ray you after the procedure? They will do this to make sure that the entire nerve has been removed.

OK, I hope that this is normal. The only thing that has me concerned is that the pain is not getting better. Matter of fact some days are worse than others. The pain above the gum hurts even more when pressed on. But there is no lesion or abscess. Shouldn't the pain be getting better each day?

I've had root canals and never had this happen.

That is why i asked you if the dentist did an xray after the root canal. My sister in law had one years ago and had the same lasting problem that you do. Turned out to be a tiny tooth fragment stuck up in the gum under the tissue. A quick repair job was done and she was good to go.

one question....are you a smoker....don't get me wrong as I am one myself, however, the pain can be associated with bone degeneration. I had one (well, the first half) in January 08....then I had a car accident when I was supposed to go back and get the crown put on. I haven't, to date, been able to go back and get the second half finished. It's just a thought...I have bone degeneration, gingivitis and a smoker.

bbfeet9, thank you for the response. How did they know it was a tooth fragment? Did it show up on Xray before or after the procdure? Was it an apicoectomy that she had? Why did it take so long for them to find this fragment? Thanks.

I called my sister in law last nite and asked her why she had such a problem. She told me that she never had a follow up xray and was in constant pain at the site of the RC. Ended up being a piece of the nerve left behind. My brother in law (her hub) mentioned it was a piece of tooth. Thinking about the tooth thing i wondered how that could of happened as there is no pulling involved in a RC, just a stripping of the nerve.
I remember when i had all 3 of mine done. When the dentist was finished he asked the tech to get an xray just to make sure that he got all of the nerve out.
Please make sure you get your cap. I didn't on one of them, the first one actually and exactly 1 year to the day, my tooth started to chip away and is now gone. 900 bucks for an RC an another 8 or 9 hundred for the crown, terrible. I think the whole thing should be included. But if you don't get the crown or cap, you will eventually loose the tooth. Damned if you and damned if you don't.

Hi John, did you ever find out what your issue was? I'd like to hear if the root canal that you had was infected or not. I have a friend who is suffering from similar symptoms and I think it would help to know. Thanks if you're still around!

So it turns out for me - the dentist from 5 years ago left a small empty hole above the root canal.. this created a pocket for an infection to form. It has grown bigger and bigger over the years until now finally the current dentists need to pull teeth to clean out all the infection. It has caused a lump of soreness on my gums and is no longer tolerable. I will now have to loose my teeth and get a Bridge or implants. Sucks.