I recently had a wisdom tooth extracted (6 months ago) which was impacting on the rest of my teeth. I also got a big filling in my right bottom molar (same side as wisdom tooth). Ever since both those procedure's, my gum on the same side has been swollen from time to time. It has never worried me too much until now. I found what seems to be a large lump, almost like a boil, on the outer gum. it is not tender to touch at all, but sometimes the gum can be very sore (throbbing pain). Could this just be an abscess? Or could it be something else? It almost feels like the filling i got on the molar is too big. Could that be causing the swelling? Could someone please give help as I am getting kind of worried since the swelling has lasted for so long. Thanks!

Hi
I dont want to scare you but i would go get it checked out. I had a bump on my gum and for like 2 years it didnt hurt so i didnt get it checked out. But then it started to hurt so i went to the dentist. It turned out that it was a globulomaxillary cyst. Something very rare that has been under my gum since i was very young and it just came out. I ended up loosing 2 teeth and now next week i have to get my front tooth removed. I am only 19 years old so this is a very hard thing for me to deal with. You probably dont have what i have because the cyst i am dealing with is rare, but i would still def go and have some xrays just to make sure !

p.s i dont want to make you scared but definately go get it checked :-)

I had a similar problem after I had a crown that had a cavity under it replaced. Is your lump hard or soft? Mine was hard, and not painful. (Although the tooth itself kept me up at night) I went to the dentist for the final crown, and told him about the pain. They did a root canal, and now the bump is mostly gone, and the pain is too. He never told me exactly what it was, but he definitely fixed it.