Hi, I had a root canal therapy two years ago, and everything seamed fine. However, I started having pain again, and it turned out that a dentist missed one of my canals and left some infected material there. Should I have a re-root canal, yes or no?

Hi, the same thing happened to my mother few years ago. She had to re-root canal, because it got infected. The first time wasn’t quite successful, because she has unusual canal shape, and the dentist couldn’t fill it completely. It is causing her problems now, and she found a better dentist to do a re-root canal. It was very unpleasant experience, but this time it was successfully done. This dentist managed to fill her canal completely, and remove all the infected material. The opinions are separated about this therapy, but there is often o alternative. It can be risky because of the possible infection that could endanger the rest of the body. That’s why you shouldn’t wait any more if you have an infection.

Hi bab,
did you get a r root canal, how are you feeling now.
actually am in the process of it so asking you.

Hi schendel,
howz ur mother doin now after re root canal

awaiting your responses to gimme moral support; its real painful process

Thanks,
Sudhi

Hi..

the same is happening with me as the root canal done previously is been rejected from another doctor before putting a crown.
Now Re root canal is scheduled 2 days later..
Previously it was not painfull at all even when no injection was given but now i am wondering.
I dont know whether should i go for Re root canal treatment from same doctor or not?
:$

It is true that root canals are difficult and unpredictable. Even a
specialist cannot offer you a 100% chance of success, like with all
surgical procedures in medicine, but because he's doing root canals all
day for the rest of his life, a specialist is usually more accomplished
in doing them (the keyword here is "usually").
Also, I might say that the endodontist's remarks "come back here or go
to another endodontist for all your root canals" seem like shameless
advertisement of their specialty to me. I know GPs who do marvellous
root canals and endodontists who do c**p.I always dislike that
attitude, that they are somehow superior to "mere mortal" GPs.

good luck!!

__________________
***edited by moderator*** web addresses not allowed

I just had this treatment and I have got to say that I had previous root canal from general dentist in UK and now proper endodontist in Singapore and the tooth is fine - its only been a week since the re-root canal and its back to normal. Slight sensitivity in the tooth but that is normal as the tooth takes almost a month to get back to normal. I grind my teeth so have to be extra careful but I can safely say that the re-root canal was painless but the infection hurts from the cleaning out of the infected roots. You have to see the endodontist twice once to gutter and clean out the infection and then a week after to ensure the infection is gone and to take out temporary filling and replace with proper filling and then the crown which my endodontist re-used.

I have to highly recommend this surgery because let me tell you - the other option is to get rid of the tooth and put in implant and thats costly but also its just not your real tooth.

Hope this helps. I have been told there is only 60% chance of success on re-root canal but it depends on the individual tooth - I would highly recommend a specialist to check and give you the full detail on what makes sense for each individual case.

Good luck to anyone going through this.

i have undergone the re root canal treatment but it was a bit painfull for some seconds of time when the doctor was scratching the tooth from deep inside.
He did this after not giving me any injection.
Right from the second day after some regular intervals of time (6-8 hours) it was paining when i was trying to eat from that side OR when i was trying to press that tooth from the upper tooth.
i think either it is infected or it is paining because of the slight injuries the doctor has given in the treatment.
yesterday i took antibiotic so presently i am feeling fine.
This time the RCT is ok as the other doctor has not rejected the RCT for putting crown.
now i am waiting for my next date when the doctor will put the permanent filling before putting the crown in next to next date. :$

hi, i have  undergone the re root canal treatment, infection came back, i was then given2 types of anti biotics. infection got better, there was no pain or sensitivity in my tooth. after waiting for 3 to 4 weeks yesterday i went back to my dentist to get a post and crown fixed. he cleaned my tooth and gave me an acrilic post and got the measurements for permanent crown.everything was done without numbing the area, every thing was fine no pain during the procedure.But on the last minute when he fixed a temporary crown, my tooth became very sensitive and it is still very sensitive to touch.now he is saying there might be a hair line fracture in the root.there was no pain or sensitivity during the yesterday's procedure and even before that. it only came on the last minute after he fixed the crown. I paid £945.00.I am very upset.

I m getting re-root canal done for a tooth , for which rct was done 12 years back .. Because the canal shape couldn't b filled in completely then . There was infection now .. So got the first siting done .. It's paint like hell .. Taking 3-4 pain killers no use ..any one faced this ..