A little more than a week ago, I slipped on a wet stair and landed on my back, towards the left hand side. I had the wind knocked out of me and felt a good amount of pain. The next day, the pain continued and I assumed I had a bruise. Over the last week, the persistence of the pain has subsided, however, when I sneeze the pain is almost unbearable. There is nothing protruding and no noticable difference in the rib by the touch or the eye. I can breathe fine (although was hard to when it first happened)

I am assuming that I cracked a rib. is this the likely scenario? If so, I have always heard that there is nothing to be done... correct?

How much time will it likely take to heal?

If it is broken, what other risks do I face?

I have no health insurance and am very resistant to go to the doctor.

The problem with not getting to your Doctor is the fractured rib could potentially injure your diaphragm. Even a small crack could inflame a tendon.
Your right, there really isn't any treatment. Pain can lead to reduced movement and cough supression. Adequate analgesic can avoid this.
It could take weeks before you are comfortable.

After reading several posts on cracked/broken ribs, I'm pretty convinced that I have a cracked/broken rib. I did it in a soccer game last week. What I'm trying to decide now is if I should play soccer again tomorrow. I don't think the pain will be unbearable, but I don't want to make it worse. Am I at increased risk of further injury by playing?

I recently cracked a rib in a soccer game and i carried on playing, then the following week i played again, hurt a bit when i got bowled into but wasnt too bad. Then the week after that i got sandwiched and tripped up by two defenders when i was sprinting as fast as i could and i went flying and landed on the ground pretty hard. I am now out for a possible 6 weeks because the impact with the ground re-injured my ribs.