I am a white male, 56 years old who stands 6'0" tall and weigh 240 pounds. I slipped on some black ice and took an awkward fall landing on my right side with my fist underneath me. My fist was holding a piece of mail that I did not want to get wet and when I fell I landed on it and it was placed just under my right breast. It is pretty sore where I landed and it hurts somewhat to take a deep breath. I just tried to sweep some snow off the porch and it was pretty painful. However, I know what pain is (I've had kidney stones, bursitis, heel spurs etc...) and on a scale of 1-10, I'd say it's about a 7. I really don't want to go to the emergencdy room or to a Dr. What do you think: brusied or cracked rib? Thanks for helping....inschok

The same thing happened to me. I fell while sledding 4 days ago. My left elbow slamed into my left side and breast area. I am 59 years old. Now it hurts when I move in certain ways, hurts alot when I cough, and hurts to carry anything heavy. Does this sound like a cracked rib? Bruised rib? Rotator cuff tear?