I normally have very light spotting as much as 7 days prior to the first day of my period (the actual bleeding). I am concerned that this means I am not having a normal luteal phase, meaning there is not enough time for implantation to take place. Any thoughts?

Health Advisor
Hi there! I am not sure if it’s the question of having enough time for implantation but it would be more a question of not having adequate progesterone production.

Progesterone is a female hormone that is produced by the ovary during lutheal phase. This hormone enables the growth of uterine lining and is an important factor for the support and development of pregnancy. Spotting 7 days prior to periods could indicate that there is a lack of this hormone and it is believed that its lack could contribute to reduced fertility and even miscarriages.

The only way to know for sure is have some blood tests done. The easiest way would be to measure progesterone levels in the middle of lutheal phase and then you will be able to know for sure.

However, the levels of progesterone may differ from my cycle to another and from women to women, so you will probably have to measure the levels in several consecutive cycles to know for sure.

Even I have the same problem.Spotting 7 days prior to my normal bleeding....I have been having this problem since 2 months and from this time we started planning for kids and before that I used to get 2 days spotting before normal bleeding.But why this(7 days spotting) is happening from the time we started to get pregnant?What are the chances of getting pregnant if I have not enough progesterone.
According to which(spotting or normal bleeding) date I should calculate my Ovulation date?
What is the reason for not having enough Progesterone?
I got spotting on Dec28th and normal bleeding on Jan3rd,so according to both dates we intercoursed on Jan 11 and Jan15th to Jan18th(probably my Ovulation date is on Jan17th).Then I got spotted on Jan25th and the normal bleeding started on Jan31st evening.
Which date I should take consider for Ovulation and which days are better to get pregnant? We are really trying hard to get pregnant...please help me in giving a quick reply.I will look forward for your reply.
Please reply me either to this post or my email ID.I am really worried...

I too, spot about 7 days prior to my period. I have had tons of tests and they say maybe a polyop is causing this, maybe hormones, they really are not even sure what hormones, as progesterone and estrogen low levels can cause such symptoms. I find all this guessing very discouraging. But I do know this I am not having any children, and they have said if I had planned to have children I would have to have all cysts etc removed.. so get an ultrasound and go from there... keep us up to date!