Hello, folks. I need to have a cataract surgery. As far as I understand, my pupils will be dilated after this procedure. I would like to know if pilocarpine will help with this problem. What do you know about this? I could really use some help of yours. Thank you in advance.

Hi, there. Pilocarpine is a muscarinic alkaloid. Alkaloid means that it is extracted from a plant. Muscarinic means that it affects muscarinic receptors in organism. In that way it stimulates parasympathetic autonomous nervous system. One of the effects is myosis. It means that it shrinks pupils. I think it should help you after the surgery. Talk to your ophthalmologist about this. Good luck!

Well,
You have to understand that dilated pupil is very normal after the cataract surgery. When are you planning to have the surgery? The fact is that most doctor tell their patients what they can use after the surgery. I think that your doctor will tell you the same. However I know that pilocarpine is used to shrink the pupils. I am just not sure if you are able to use it after the surgery because you might have some consequences. You have to be careful with this because your eyes will be sensitive and you can not put everything in them before you don’t get an approval from your doctor.

All the best,
Nelie

Hallo,
If you ask me the main problem with the cataract is that the cataract will continue to grow all the time and the only time that you can restore your vision is with the surgery. Now how long have you had cataract before the surgery? You have to know that every surgery has some risks, so does the cataract surgery. Pupils can be dilated after the surgery for some time but I think that they will return to normal after the recovery is done. You have to know that the recovery process is not simple and you need to take good care of your eyes. I hope this helped a bit.

All the best to you,
Karen