Hello! I have a neighbor who is sixty seven years old. He lives alone and has no family. He is very kind man and I help him whenever he needs my help. The problem is he has a cataract on his left eye and I am afraid his will lose his vision. But, he has no medical insurance and no money. I am also not in the position to help him financially although I really would like to. Can he have a cataract removed for free?

Hello! I am sorry to hear the poor man is in difficult situation. It is really nice of you to help him. I think that a cataract surgery can cost from 3.000 to 5.000 USD which is really expensive especially for those without insurance. You can try to contact a social worker or you can visit a local hospital or other community agency in order to find out about community resources that can help people facing financial and medical problems. There are also many programs for vision problems which provide free eye care to uninsured, low-income persons. For example there is “Mission Cataract USA”, coordinated by the Volunteer Eye Surgeons' Association, which provides free cataract surgery to people of all ages who have no other means to pay.