I've got very thin, vulnerable, translucent looking skin under my eyes. It gets easily irritated as well. So far, I have been using a moisturizer and nothing else, but I am beginning to think I need a specialized eye cream. I think they are advertised as rejuvenating the eye skin, and getting rid of bags, but what I am interested in is whether eye creams can thicken the skin? 

If they do, I'm also hoping you can give me tips on which eye cream to buy. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars but I am quite willing to pay more for good quality if the eye cream will do what I need from it. 

TIA!

Hmm... if you want to thicken the skin under your eyes, I've heard that a vitamin C serum is your best bet, though I'm not really sure how true that is, though vitamin C serum definitely has a whitening effect for sure. Can you thicken the skin at all? I am really not convinced. What I am sure a good eye cream can do is reduce bags and puffiness, get rid of that tired look. That's good enough for me as I have never had the particular goal of thickening the skin. If you are worried about your skin though, perhaps seeing a dermatologist would be a good idea. 

Not all eye creams work to thicken the skin, but some do. You will want to be on the lookout for something with retinol (prescription version is retin A) or vitamin E. Vitamin C and beta carotene also help thicken the skin.

Steroids, for example, have the opposite effect. They make your skin thinner. So avoid any topical steroids if possible.

Green tea and ginger, and other things like that, are antioxidants that can fight damage being done to your skin. The sun is one of the biggest culprits of this, so of course you also want a good sunscreen to prevent skin damage that can lead to thinner skin.

I think you are looking for an eye cream with hyaluronic acid, which attracts moisture really well and helps counter the thinning of the skin which you see over time, with aging. Good hyaluronic acid eye creams include:

• Skin Daily Hyaluronic Acid Eye Cream, which also has vitamin E and aloe vera, both of which are awesome for your paper thin eye skin as well. 

• Ove Beauty Best Hyaluronic Acid Eye Cream, with a bunch of added benefits for anti aging and dark circles. 

• CeraVe Hyaluronic Acid Eye Repair Cream, which is especially gentle. 

I hope that helps you somewhat!

I'd suggest vitamin E oil to thicken the skin. This helps your skin cells grow at a faster rate, so your skin does become thicker. You can find this in a range of eye creams, or all by itself.

I have heard that retin A actually thins the skin though, so you will want to watch out for that one. At the very least, I think it's more suitable for the facial skin than the skin directly around the eyes. It can cause irritation and many people go through an initial stage where retin A makes the skin all irritated and dry. It's a prescription cream anyway so if you wanted that, you would have to discuss it with your doctor. Retin A is usually prescribed for acne, though it is used for anti-aging as well.

I doubt that eye creams can actually do anything to the thickness of your skin as such. Your skin gets thinner with age and that seems to be an irreversible process. I do know that some medication gives you even thinner skin, like prednisone for example, but then again, if need that you need that.

What eye cream can probably do is moisturize your skin and make it look thicker without it actually being thicker. Dry skin has a tendency to look somewhat like crumpled paper, especially in older people. Moisturized skin doesn't do this as much, so using eye cream sounds like a good idea.

I am not sure if that is true, even though it makes sense on the surface. If medications and other factors like environmental factors can damage the skin and make it thinner, other factors should be able to restore the skin to its natural level of thickness.

One thing I have not seen mentioned here yet are hair, nail and skin vitamins, which you can buy pretty much anywhere, but I think Biotin is the main vitamin in that. If Biotin can make hair grow faster and nails grow thicker, why shouldn't it also thicken the skin?

That is the first thing I would look into.