I am asking for my sister, who is dealing with oily skin and severely visible pores on the nose and some areas of the face, such as around the cheeks and between the eyebrows as well as some other areas of the forehead. Because at-home treatments have not helped her enough, she is now looking for some salon treatments that could help her reduce the face and nose pores.
I have never had this issue myself, interestingly, so I am hoping you guys can point her in the right direction for me? What cosmetic treatments to reduce pores are on the market now?
- Clay masks are very good at unclogging pores which definitely reduces their size.
- Excess sebum productions is usually at the core of enlarged and clogged pores. Did you know that oil actually cleans oil better than oil free formulations? She could also take a closer look at the oil cleansing method, which some hate and some love but which is always good to review in case it helps.
- Retinoids, yes!!!
- Glycolic acid.
- Pore strips.
- Stay away from shimmery makeup which just makes the pores look larger.
- Use primer to reduce the appearance of pores before foundation.
The main causes of enlarged pores are genetics (which since you don't have them, does anyone else in your family?), oily skin, and dirty skin. I'd be working very hard to tackle the oily skin in this case since that seems to be the likely main causative factor in this case, Do not choose soaps that contain extra moisturizer and go for antibacterial soaps that contain benzoyl peroxide instead, which is a powerful agent in the fight against oily skin. Use lemon to strip oil and close the pores as well as clay masks, and choose the right moisturizer, oil free, for oily skin.
Here are some things that could help in reducing pore size
1. IPL laser, which includes pore minimizing treatments.
2. Microdermabrasion, don't discount this as a potentially effective treatment despite the fact that it appears to have become less popular as of late because this cosmetic treatment can indeed help in reducing pore size.
3. The carbon spectra peel, which though its effects are temporary rather than permanent can greatly improve both skin tone evenness and the appearance of pores.
4. Fraxel laser, perhaps the gold standard now.