Hello everyone,

A little background first. I am 26 and never suffered from more than a little menstruation related acne while I was a teenager. Really, I've never had any skin problems to speak of and usually use a tinted moisturizer rather than a foundation. 

Over the last six months or so, I've unfortunately had large open pores on my face and my nose, which are still visible when I apply my tinted moisturizer. The pores on my nose contain blackheads galore as well, though not very obvious ones, but the pores on my face, mainly cheeks and forehead but also around the chin, are just large and open. 

What can I do about this? I am hoping some simple home remedies can help me solve this problem but I am not sure where to start. 

Celebrity

Hey,

Home remedies can really help and I think you're right to try those first rather than moving straight to expensive cosmetic treatments. 

For open pores, common recommendations are lemon juice, baking soda, Manuka honey, and egg masks. If you have impurities (blackheads) inside those open pores, then clay masks and charcoal masks can do a lot to draw them out. You could also use those special tweezers to remove blackheads. For a quick fix, ice cubes are a tried and tested method that really have the power to shrink your pores significantly, albeit temporarily. 

I hope that helps. 

Rosie

Home remedies for open pores? Yeah, I've come across those on Pinterest and blogs and stuff. Hm... ice cubes, honey, baking soda, that's what they usually recommend. Now I heard somewhere that baking soda actually is bad for your face 'cause it doesn't mesh well with your skin's natural pH level. Lemon too is supposed to actually be bad. I think I even heard that it can give you chemical burns. So I just wanna say, don't believe everything you read out there. Products you buy in shops are formulated for your skin so that definitely has its benefits, know what I'm saying?

I think the most important thing when you want to reduce large pores is to keep them clean, so they don't become clogged and have the chance to become smaller. This requires washing with a gentle cleanser twice a day. The next steps are more serious, and I'm not sure you could call them home remedies as such but you do them at home and they work. Retinoids, like either retin A, which is prescription only, or retinol, the over the counter version, really help reduce and unclog pores. You can also get a clarisonic brush to keep your skin cleaner if you want to take it to the next level. Makeup wise, look for oil free products that contain talk.

It is great if home remedies help you. I am sure that they help some people. If you end up not being one of those people however, I would like to suggest laser therapy as a means of reducing large pores. Fraxel laser is a great option for you if you want to reduce pore size, and Micro laser peel can have the same effect. You will probably be advised to have several sessions until you are satisfied, and might notice scar reduction as well if you happen to have acne scars, as well as a generally more toned skin. All in all, laser therapy is a great option for people with large pores. 

Retin A might work for you yeah, though it will only make dry skin worse in people who already have dry skin like the poster on another thread that's going on right now. If you don't wanna go for something that gives a lot of people grief when they first start using it though, and Retin A causes Retin A uglies in a lot of people for a while, then perhaps try the Body Shop pore minimiser with tea tree oil? I've heard it's really soothing and closers your pores well. If you wanna go with a more mainstream brand then Loreal has got this skin genesis pore minimising skin resmoother that you might like as well.