I am a 24 year old male. Last week I have noticed rash on my thighs that was itching me. I went to doctor and was examined. He diagnosed me with jock itch. I felt stupid because I didn't know anything about it. I would appreciate more information.

"Jock itch" is an itchy rash in a man's groin. Even though there are many causes of jock itch, this term has become synonymous with tinea cruris. Tinea cruris is a common fungal infection that affects the groin and inner thighs of men and woman. The jock itch fungus may cause a rash on the upper and inner thighs, the armpits, and the area just underneath the breasts. It can develop when tight clothes trap moisture and heat what creates an environment in which fungi multiply and flourish. That's why athletes often get jock itch. It occurs more commonly in men, but can affect women as well. Symptoms are a flat, red, itchy rash that first appears high on the inner side of one or both thighs. It can spread to the pubic and genital area an even to the buttocks. The treatment usually lasts within the week but the infection can get back very soon. Treatment for the long-lasting, chronic infections can last even one or two months and it is antifungal powder or gel.