I have a cousin that got jock itch, and he said that is itchy rash in a man's groin. I found out that is some fungal infection, so I am worried about it. He showed this to me and I saw that is spreading outward in a ring-likecircular pattern. I do not want to get this infection also, so I want to hear more about this problem. I am especially interested how to avoid getting jock itch.

Although there are many causes of jock itch, this term has become synonymous with tinea cruris. This common fungal infection affects the groin and inner thighs of men and woman. Jock itch can develop when tight garments trap moisture and heat, which creates an environment in which fungi multiply and flourish. Athletes often get jock itch, and it occurs more commonly in men, but can affect women as well. The jock itch fungus may cause a rash on the upper and inner thighs, the armpits, and the area underneath the breasts. Doctor often can make the diagnosis just by looking at the rash. He or she confirms diagnosis by scraping a small amount of irritated skin onto a slide. Usually, fungi can be seen under a microscope, and sample could be sent to a laboratory to pinpoint the fungus. Jock itch usually can be treated within weeks, although it commonly comes back in most cases. Treatment for chronic infections may last one or two months. The best way to avoid jock itch is to know the healthier you are, the less likely you are to get a fungal infection. Remaining healthy through diet, rest and exercise is the first step in avoiding fungal infection such as jock itch. First, keep your body clean, dry yourself well after showers and baths, shower immediately after athletic activities, and wear loose clothing whenever possible.