I have noticed some strange, ring shaped marks in my groin. I did not understand how it came there, because just two days ago, it was clear area. I visited my doctor and he told me that is harmless skin disease, termed ringworm. I wonder if that is harmless, since he prescribed me antibiotics. I want to hear more about this condition, I would appreciate any info about ringworms.

What you reported is a fungal skin infection that happened in your groin. Men and women are equally affected, although it can be spread to scrotum in man. Dermatophytes are fungi responsible to cause this type of skin infection. These fungi lives from eating out dead skin cells, and most often they are harmless. There will often be a large, scaly, red-brown patch on the groin. In men this can stretch from the groin to the scrotum. The disease is most active at the edges of this patch. The infected area may be itchy or have a burning sensation. It is more common in men. Because the fungi thrive in warm, moist places, they are often a problem for men who do not practise good personal hygiene. It is relatively easy to cure. It can be treated with an antifungal cream, or with tablets. If you notice any of the symptoms mentioned, visit your doctor immediately. The condition is quickly diagnosed and easily cured; therefore, you should not put off getting treatment.