I have a friend who does not speak a lot, but I saw on his desk diagnosis of his doctor’s exam. There I saw he is diagnosed with jock itch. I have never heard for this condition, so I asked him about this. He turned red in his face and he did not want to give me any answer. Now I am interested if that is some terrible disease, or why he could be ashamed, so can you give me an explanation what jock itch is.

The term jock itch typically describes an itchy rash, which occurs in a man's groin. Although there are many causes of jock itch, this term has become synonymous with tinea cruris. This common fungal infection affects the groin and inner thighs of both men and woman. Tinea is the name of the fungus, and cruris comes from the Latin word for leg. Jock itch can develop when tight garments trap moisture and heat and this creates an environment in which fungi multiply and flourish. Athletes often get jock itch, and it occurs more commonly in men, but can affect women as well. The jock itch fungus may cause a rash on the upper and inner thighs, the armpits, and the area just underneath of breast. This flat, red, itchy rash first appears high on the inner side of one or both thighs and then it spreads outward in a ringlike circular pattern, while the center clears up partially. Jock itch can spread to the pubic and genital regions and sometimes to the buttocks, so doctor often can make the diagnosis just by looking at the rash. He or she confirms the diagnosis by scraping a small amount of irritated skin to confirm doubt it is jock itch.

Jock itch occurs when the groin area becomes sweaty. This allows fungi to build up. It can also crop up through a transfer of athlete’s foot, contact with clothing, bedding or towels of infected individuals. I used Tinactin Jock Itch Cream, morning and night, but before I’ve used Tinactin Jock Itch Powder Spray. You should wash and dry infected area!