My friend who is doctor told me that hypertrophy scar looks similar to the keloid. Also he told me that hypertrophy scars are more common. Since I know that keloids are considered a benign tumor, actually I would like it to be hypertrophy. He told me keloids are mainly a cosmetic nuisance and never become malignant. Now I am really confused and want to know what keloid is.

Keloids are raised, reddish nodules that develop at the site of the injury. After a wound has occurred to the skin both skin cells and connective tissue cells, begin multiplying to repair the damage. A scar is made up of the connective tissue, gristle-like fibers deposited in the skin by the fibroblasts. They are charged to hold the wound closed. With keloids, the fibroblasts continue tomultiply even after the wound is filled in with that tissue. Thus keloids project above the surface of the skin and form large mounds of scar tissue, which could look scary. Keloids may form on any part of the body, although the upper chest, shoulders and upper back are especially prone to occurring of the keloid formation. Symptoms include pigmentation of the skin, itchiness, redness, unusual sensations and pain sometimes. It is estimated that keloids occur in about 10% to 15% of people. While most people never form keloids, others develop them after minor injuries, even insect bites or small pimples. Darkly pigmented people seem to be more prone to forming keloids on their skin. Men and women are equally affected with this problem.