Can we discuss this here?

I have keloid scars left over from acne when I was a little younger on my jawline. I am mixed race and these scars have been in place for at least two years, with little to no fading happening over time, despite efforts with vitamin E oil which I used to reduce scarring. I am now supposing that there is no hope these scars will fade over time on their own. They are very visible even when wearing makeup. Now, I know laser treatment is one option but I do not want any treatment with even the risk of leaving my skin looking more scarred than currently. 

Is laser treatment the best option for my keloid scars and what should I know before booking any consult?

I pretty much have the same problem with hypertrophic scars from acne, except that they are mostly on my chest and back area, thankfully, and not on my face. I would love to get rid of them. I feel very embarrassed if I am showing my chest and back area, so I have been avoiding swimming pools and the gym :(. I recently hears something about bio oil helping. There is also the possibility of undergoing chemical peels for the hypertrophic scars. This is a lot cheaper than laser treatments and has helped many people, but you do need more than one session and perhaps something like six.

I'm also interested in what other people have to say about this.

Are you tired of visiting the parlour every couple of weeks to get rid of excess hair? Laser treatment is now an increasingly popular method to permanently free yourself from unwanted hairs. While some professional parlours have the skill to offer this procedure, it is better to visit our specialized cosmetic treatment centre for guaranteed results. Sign up for our free e-consultation today!

Keloid scars are notoriously difficult to treat, but you are onto something with the laser treatment. Your options are:

• Topical steroids. Creams are not your only options when it comes to topical steroids. Injections and patches are also available, and may be more effective because they are much more highly concentrated. 
  • Silicone gel patches.
  • Cryotherapy. This seeks to eliminate the keloid by freezing it.
  • CO2 fractional laser. 
  • Even the medication Interferon, which does have serious side effects, can help. 

You can certainly inform yourself about your options online, however, only a qualified doctor who has seen the condition of your skin can truly give you the best advice and help you proceed. 

Yeah, I think you're right. And I'd get to this sooner rather than later, 'cause them keloid scars get harder to treat the longer you have them you know? Pulsed dye lasers and Nd:YAG lasers are the ones that are supposed to be most effective while also having the least side effects at the same time so that's what I would be looking into, though the pulsed dye ones are less likely to work well on darker skin. Now, some folks have surgery to remove keloids. The issue with that is that if you already have keloids from acne your skin has been shown to be prone to developing them, and surgery can actually make them worse. I would stay away from that, basically.

The minimal risk of scarring after laser treatment for keloids is one of its main benefits. Most people with keloid scars are good candidates for laser removal, however it is important to discuss the benefits and risks of the procedure with your surgeon in advance, and that includes the need to have realistic expectations — you will certainly experience fading, but your scar probably will not be completely gone after a single treatment. You will want to note that laser removal of keloid scars is frequently followed up by steroid injections on a monthly basis for the best results.

Hi, I had surgery 11 years ago that left me with a keloid and since then have tried all kinds to get rid of it... steroids, haelan tape, hydrocortisone... and well, all I can say is that the keloid is unfortunately still there. I'm now wondering what to do, because I do really want it gone if I'm honest and like you, though mine isn't from acne, I am now considering laser treatment. I am wondering what the risks are and if it will hurt, still I'm pretty thrilled at the prospect of having it gone. So I'm in the same boat with you, but I can say, in reply to the question you asked whether laser is the best option, that well, the other things did not work for me and of course surgical removal can leave you with a new and bigger keloid, so I would say probably it is the best option.

Celebrity

Hey,

I know that you were specifically asking about the benefits of laser treatment for keloid scars left over from acne, but I just replied to another thread where someone was asking about treatment options for keloid scars, and I thought I should mention what I said there here as well. 

Some natural remedies for keloid scars that people have tried out include apple cider vinegar, tea tree oil, lavender oil, calendula oil, and even just salt water. I have not personally tried any of these remedies out, but have read that some people have had luck with them. Unlike laser treatment, which perhaps offers more guaranteed success, these treatments are inexpensive, painless, and easy to use. I suppose there is no harm in trying them out prior to seeking laser treatment.

Rosie