After a car accident which involved fire that burnt the skin on my son’s shoulders, he hasn’t been the same. The experience he went through is still shocking to him but with the counseling I think he’s making progress. Something else worries me, he still has the scars, I was told that they are called keyloids and they appear after burn injuries. Can anybody tell me something about them?

A keloid is a kind of scar. Keloid is firm, rubbery lesion, and may be reddish or dark in color, or it may be shiny, hard pink dome-shaped lump. Keloids usually result from skin injury or burns. Keloids commonly occur on the shoulders, chest, arms and upper back even when there has been no apparent injury. However, they can appear almost anywhere. A keloid may extend beyond the site of injury. Keloids do not subside.