Recently, I injured my leg. After some time, I noticed some reddish marks surrounding it. I went to my doctor and he told me that I have developed keloids. He also told me the basics about this condition, but I would like to know more about it. What are actually keloids?

Keloids are reddish, raised nodules that developed at the site of the injury and they can form at any part of the body. Upper chest, shoulders and upper back are the most common parts of the body where the keloids are formed. The symptoms of keloids are pigmentation of the skin, redness, itchiness, pain and unusual sensations. It is believed that keloids occur in about 10% of people. People with dark pigment are more prone to form keloids. After the injury, when the wound has occurred, both skin cells and connective tissue cells begin multiplying to repair the damage. To hold the wound closed, a scar is made up of connective tissue (fibers deposited in the skin by the fibroblasts). However, with keloids the fibroblasts begin to multiply even after the wound has filled in. Keloids can be prevented using a pressure dressing or silicone gel pad over the site of injury and should be left on for 23 to 24 hours a day. However, after they have formed on the body keloids can not be completely removed.