Could someone here explain me how is kidney removal performed and why? I guess it has to be open surgery and under anesthesia. I am interested to know more about this procedure, because one of my cousins needs kidney removal because of the severe infection he suffers. Thank you in advance.

Kidney removal is performed due to infection, but also because of trauma, chronic bleeding, tumor, and hypertension and so on. Kidney removal may be performed as open surgery, but for certain patients, the procedure may be done laparoscopically, meaning the surgeon uses an instrument called a laparoscope to visualize the kidney through a smaller incision. During the procedure, while the patient is unconscious and under general anesthesia, an incision is made in the abdomen or in the side of the abdomen. The ureter and the blood vessels are cut away from the kidney and the kidney is removed.