In January of 2008 I had my right kidney removed due to a tumor growing within it, I continually have numbness and pain through out the right side of my stomach down through my hip. This pain can be mild to painful even to the touch. I take Tramadol for the pain and have to take it at least once a day. Is this normal and will it get better, some times it is almost unbearable! Thanks for your help.

What does your doctor say? If I were having severe pains 7 months after surgery, I would be calling my doctor.

hello, I donated a kidney and I had the same pains. It took almost a year for it to go away for me. I have heard of other having this as well. I mean I would ask your doctor about it but yes it does happen. Shouldn't for that long but like I said mine did. I am fine now.

I have had my left kidney removed and was in the hospital for over 2 months and feel something went wrong...I have excruciating pain in my abdomen and numbess. Does anyone think maybe I had the wrong doctor for this procedure?

I had my right kidney removed one month ago today. I was in the hospital for 6 days and did not have solids to eat until the 5th night. I have lost 12 pounds and have finally started gaining weight (2 pounds). I see the doctor on Friday and hopefully he will answer some of the questions I have just like you all - no feeling along the suture line, pain in the back. My pain started before they even found the tumor - its why they did the MRI. I first had a pulmonary embolism (7 blood clots found in the lungs). They took me off of Birth control and put me on blood thinners. I complained the first month about some back pain while sleeping on my back and they said to "get a new bed". The back pain would come and go and then it started hurting if I was sitting, standing, walking or sleeping. They did they MRI and found it. They also put me on Tramadol but I was taking it all the time. I complained and they gave my Hydrochodone. I took one of each for awhile and now just take the Hydrochodone. But I digress.

They finally removed the kidney and no cancer outside of the tumor :-D
I get pain after standing or walking after only 30 minutes. I also get light headedness but they said to get up slower!!

My biggest thing is the weight loss. I started eating so much better this year and lost the 15 pounds that I had been trying to lose forever but now I have lost another 15 pounds and have nothing to wear!! Will I get the weight back? The other question - will I be able to straighten up - I feel like my back has a hunch to it and it hurts to straighten up. I know its only been one month but I am so ready to get back to normal.

hi i had my left kidney removed a little over a month ago due to a large cancerous tumor but thank god it was only in the kidney it had not spread but i only stayed in the hospital for 5 days and i take oxycodone for pain but my pain is not servere as others. I started out being only to sit and stand for a short period of time but the more you stand and sit your body gets use to it i have very little pain i only take 2 pain pills a day one in the morning and one before i go to bed. I also find out that if you get upset to much it can cause your pain to increase

Just had my right kidney removed 2 weeks ago due to renal cell carcinoma. Thankful that it was all encapsulated but am getting pain in my back in the general area where my kidney was removed. Anyone experience this? Plus it is getting uncomfortable to urinate at the end of the flow. Was only in hospital overnight with laprocopic surgery.

November 2008 Thanksgiving I had my right kidney removed due to tumor growth of 8 inches not cm. Of the four stages of renal cancer I am concidered to be in stage 3 due to the size of my tumor. My right side hurts 88% of the time. Mostly it is moderate pain and I can bear it with pain meds (Hydrocrodon) but when it gets really bad nothing seems to work. My doctor is concerned that I might become dependent on this pain meds but I personally think if you are hurting, something is wrong. No One should hurt with as much pain meds they have out there today. It is late tonight and i cannot sleep due to pain. My doctor has taken me out of work hopeing I would get better but I am not seeing any change. I seem to hurt all the time, especially when I drive. Anyone out there with this problem? Need someone to talk too.

I'm so relieved to read some of these posts. I had a left nephrectomy on Nov. 7, 2008 due to renal cell carcinoma (Stage 1b). Almost 8 months later and I still have pain. I just made an appt. with my doctor because it's starting to worry me. So far everyone has said my pain is "muscular" and should go away. That was in February. I feel most of my pain at night when I'm trying to sleep and when I stand up from a lying down or sitting position. The pain is in my lower left abdomen area. I feel like something's been moved around or something. My colon/bowel area seems aggitated, I have lots of bloating and just pain! I had "hands assisted" laproscopic surgery and I have this bump that looks different than the rest of my abdomen. If anyone knows if all of this is normal please let me know. Is this something I will just have to live with?

Hi

I had my right kidney removed laparoscopically 4 months ago due to it being badly damaged by infection and it still hurts - I don't even have the large incision, only 6 x 1" scars to contend with. I had no complications and needed no follow up treatment thanksfully. So, I guess if I'm still sore after 4 months with the minimally invasive method, then you guys who had the open method must suffer for a lot longer. I also take Tramadol for the pain but only when I really need it, its the only thing that works.

Feeona x

I had my right kidney removed March 2007 and have been living with pain from my scare forward down to my groin, The doctors at the hospital told me this was normal and could last up to 2 yrs for the nerves to grow back together. Well it has been over that and it has not gotten better but worse. my family doctors just keeps feeding me pain pills which have not helped in over 1 yr. My pain seem to get getting worse as time goes by.

That's so awful to hear that yoour pain is getting worse and not better. What pain pills are oyu on right now? I am actually naturally resistant to some pain pills so it would help to know. Thanks!

I had a simple laparoscopic nephrectomy for RCC in December 2008. I have been in pain since I had the surgery. The pain is where my kidney use to be located. My doctor says that it is probably back or muscle related, however I disagree. I hate it when doctors think you don't know what is going on with your body. I think I may need to get a second opinion because this pain is not letting up. It is scary to think that the cancer may be returning.

Must be nice.. I had kidney stone that was 11mm big,m they did a ultrasonic blact and it wrkd, this was July of 09 and here it is Feb 2010 and i still have the stin in me the pain is soo bad im takin 4 different kinds of heave pain meds and it hurt when i pee move qwrong way, is this normal..

I had a nephrectomy 27th Jan this year. I am getting pains in my back too. I know its early days and I am getting an ultra scan next week to check everything is ok also had an xray and blood test. I too am scared and everyone says you have to think posative, I am trying to but its hard when you have a nagging pain to remind you. I think I am getting looked after very well. Its good to read forums like this so you know your not alone.