I am starting to think I am the only person in the world who has been through anything similar to my experience. Every blog/forum I read doesn't relate to the size stone I just had removed. In Nov '08 I was admitted to the ER for what I thought was a gastro-intestinal infection. One CAT scan later revealed a 4 cm kidney stone. That's right, 4cm, not 4 mm! No one in the hospital, even the XRay tech, could believe it. Said they'd never seen anything before like that in the 20+ years they've been doing scans. So was treated for a UTI and released that day, to follow up with a urologist. After meeting w/the urologist, I was told my situation was the "perfect storm" of stones because it was situated in such a place that it was easy to "get in and get out" through open kidney surgery. That, and the fact that it could have been there for even 20 years, so I was "lucky" there was never any irritation, blockage or pain symptoms until last November. Anyway, after a very weak explanation of the type of surgery I would have, I was given the option of having the stone removed the week before Christmas, or the week after New Year's (had to schedule around doc's vacation and the availability of the "daVinci robot" at the hospital). So, not wanting to disappoint my family during the holidays, I chose Jan 8th for my surgery. I have to say that what I've endured since 7:30 a.m. on that date has left me rethinking why I didn't just live the rest of my life with that 4 cm stone still in its happy little place - due to it's size, it had no chance of going anywhere. I even delivered 2 very large babies (10.5 lbs and 9.5 lbs) by C-section and think that was a walk in the park compared to the surgery, recovery from anesthesia, drain removal, and stent. I have been painkiller-free for a day and half because I couldn't stand the constipation that came along w/them. And of course when the bowels move, so does the stent - nothing like my own body kicking me when I'm down.

Anyway, I came on here to find out what to expect when the stent came out since that's the next hurdle I have to jump. And then I realized I probably can't go by any of what I'm reading because I think perhaps the size of my stone and the type of surgery I had (3 little cuts on my tummy) is definitely NOT common - am I right?

You're not alone. My 4.1cm stone was found during a routine bone density scan. That was the end of September 08. I waited for surgery, which failed, on Nov 25. The surgeon (I presume because of incompetence) attempted a percutaneous lithotrispy. He kept me under general for nearly 3 hours before giving up. He didn't see me after the failed procedure or for 24 hours, and only then, because I forced the nurses to page him. His response? Let's try again! I said no, why should I trust you, and went home. Even though the procedure was a "look-about," I too suffered for weeks for the reasons you listed, made worse by depression. Now I face a repeat in February with a new surgeon. I'm terrified by what I imagine lies ahead.

I too had a 4 centimeter stone on my left kidney. I started with the stent procedure, had to be removed three days later because I was bleeding too much and pain was too high. It was removed and another stent placed. After a week I had the lithotripsy procedure and it took a while as well, but the stone was way too big for it to break. Then four weeks later I was scheduled for the laser procedure. After two weeks I was scheduled for a cat scan with contrast to see if stone fragments may be coming out. Turned out my ureter is extremely tight at the tip where it meets with kidney. After two months, I was scheduled to have a percutaneous nephrostomy tube procedure. After another month, I was scheduled to have surgery to laser again to make fragments smaller and to have the stone fragments removed through the nephrostomy tube. During surgery, my kidney started to bleed perfously and my surgeon needed to stop. This surgery practically killed me, I was in so much pain after the procedure, and I have a high tolerance for pain and usually don't complain, but all I can remember is saying to the nurses in a low voice "it hurts, it hurts" and tears streaming down my face. My doctor called me several times after the procedure to check up on me. Even after all the procedures, all the pain, to this day, I trust Dr. Dardashti because of his expertise and most of all because of his personal care. Yes, it felt like it took forever, but the purpose in having taken time between the procedures was to allow my kidney to rest. He was totally looking out for my well being.

Hello, I have been diagnosed with a 4.1 cm kidney stone that was found on a CT scan test, my symptoms are swallow abdomin , nausea, fever to where I break out with little red itchie bumps that go away with cream,, it's been there for a while will not pass on it's own, going back to the doctor to see what's next, the Dr. have been telling me that it will pass, we'll it hasn't passed yet, what must I do ? B

I had 4.1 cm kidney stone when i was 5 years old

I have 4cm stone in kidney .....

after reading your story about 4 cenemetre stone in your kidney im now concerned as i havea 3 centermetre kidney stone there is no way i could pass that as ive had small ones before i guess after reading your story ill be having the same thing done to me when it reaches 4 cenemeteres I hope my story ends well thats all i can wish for

I have 3 that are each 4 cm wide in both kidneys. I know your pain and believe me I feel like someone is hitting me with a baseball bat every minute

Holy*cow, what are they doing for you? I'm very similar, full time Kidney Stone Patient... I'm concerned& upset/ had one Sp.Dr. remove a water pill I'd been taking that we're somehow keeping the k.s.'s small enough to pass...& in almost 2 months I'm dancing around, almost passing out from pain, now throwing up from severe pain on & off depending what I'm doing /i try trying to Rock through things until i got to my Dr when I finally called / first I get to see his PA cause Dr is in Surgery, she gives me Tamulosin (SP. It's a pi pe pill/5 pain pills a day/ nausea medicine/ tells me she thinks I can pass it/ I exp.norm.proc.that go's for me/that I needed a CT Scan too...go for CT Scan and Dear Jesus...several in both kidneys ranging in size in my
{{{{{3 right kidney stones between 4 to 6,7 CM ...4 in !eft kidney 6 to 9CM }}}}}
& Dr Magee's Nurse(Mary) called, to tell me, I asked well, they're passable..... she said oh no you're not passing...I explained his PA said I could ....Mary says what??? back and said she must not know then... I'll have the Dr. Speak with her..... but, I'm going to see him {squeeze in emergency appt.}. ...to find out what he's going to do...I've had Nephrostomy Tubes before, I Do Not want them Again ...I was able to undergo lithotripsy before/ here's the problem...now I have a Neurostimulater Implant ...Neurobiology & Anesthesia Dr for that kindly placed the battery control implant for the Neurostimulater directly, behind Right Kidney...Genious move Doc......So, Lithotripsy is out and certain equiptment can damage the Stimulater....So, I'm thinking concerned , do they remove the stim. Implant battery control device or can they go in and get them without cutting me open??? What is your Doctor going to do??????
PLEASE TELL ME... if you know.... thanks!!!!!