Hi. I`m 32 and have a problem with stones embedded in my right kidney. I have this awful pain in my upper back and sometimes there is some blood in my urine. My doc has recommended me a ureteroscopy to remove the stones. I`m afraid that ureteroscopy won`t help me and that I will have to go to a surgery. Does anybody know something about that ureteroscopy procedure?

Hi. A friend of mine had some stones embedded in the kidney. Ureteroscopy means that the doctor will use the ureteroscopes and insert it into the ureter (without an incision). Anesthesia is generally used. There are some risks of ureteroscopy which include perforation, especially if the stone has been embedded within the wall of the ureter for more than two months. Most of the patients can return to work within one or two days. The surgery may be needed if a stone doesn`t pass after some reasonable period of time and causes constant pain, or if the stone is too large to pass on its` own.

My husband was in the hospital in March. It did not work. Now he is going in again April 17. He came home with a stent and a tube in his back. I am worried.