This post is an extension of the

Bladder and kidney stent removal
thread.

Please continue posting within this thread.

I've posted a few times on here, I had a stent placed when I was 22 weeks pregnant. I just had it removed yesterday after having it in for 5 months! I took two vicodin about an hour before the procedure which I think made a big difference. It was not as painful as I was expecting, and they didn't even use the numbing gel. The worst part was feeling it going through my ureter as they pulled it out, and he said that this hurt especially for me because there was quite a bit of mineral build up at the end of the stent that was in my kidney because it had been in so long. The first few times I urinated afterward were pretty painful and bloody, but that has already gone down significantly. Overall, not pleasant and moments of pain, but with pain meds it was manageable. Good luck everyone!

My husband is having a stent put in after the Dr removes all the cancer that is in is bladder. Has anyone had this procedure? Any info would help

Thanks

I was so worked up and nervous going in to get my stent removed today. I made the same mistake many people make of reading all the horror stories and problems other people have had with the procedure. I have to say that the procedure was over really quickly and I had no pain at all. There was a little discomfort but i wouldn't call it pain. if you are a woman it's really not much different then the feeling of getting a pap test. I had no freezing and I didn't take any pain killers before or after. I have had absolutely no pain following the procedure. Was so much easier then I had expected.

at the beg. of june i went to the ER with severe pain and found out i had kidney stones. it was the worse pain i've ever been in! they sent me home with antibiotics and loratab 5.5 which did nothing and referred me to a urinologist. on june 12 i went in for surgery to have a stent placed. they to told me that i would have to stay over night. after getting home i had a little pain for a few days, but then it went away and i actually felt ok. even sex didn't bother me. well on july 14 after having the stent for a month and not passing my stone that was 6mm my dr put me back to sleep and done surgery to remove the stent and the stone. when i left the hospital on july 14 i felt ok just a little sore. a few hours of being home it felt like i had the stones all over again. on july 16 i left work with severe pain in my kidney and a high temp. just wondered if anyone else has experienced this. i called the dr and he called me in some pain meds and a 4 day dosage of leviquin that cost me 56.00

i am 26 weeks pregnant and Last week i was throwing up and having really bad pains which put me in the hospital last saturday and there i stayed untill this thursday. They said it was my kidney and did surgery tuesday. They say i have three stones and placed a stent in my right kidney. Ever since this i am in SOOOO much more pain then i was before the surgery. I'm constantly in the bathroom and if im not then i feel like i need to be. I still have blood in my urine and have clots. The pain in my back is so bad that i have to keep taking hydrocodones which i dont want to keep doing. And the burning when i do pee is horrible. Im just wondering if any one else has had to this happen to you's and how long your stents were in for and does it gett better or is it really going to be like this until i have them taken out after labor?? any suggestions for the pain also? i mean should i just deal with it and see how it goes or should i have them take it out. i feel like i cant even enjoy my pregnancy now, i havent been out of the house in a week ! i just want to feel normal again. please help !!

Well, your post is from a few days ago so I'm guessing by now maybe you feel better. Anyway, I had lithotripsy and a stent placed 9 days ago for an 8 mm stone stuck in my right ureter. I had the stent removed yesterday, so it was actually in for 7 days. I felt pretty much the same as you with the back pain, bladder pain, burning and bladder spasms when I urinated. It was truly awful. I took Vicodin for 3 of the days but it made me very constipated and so I had to stop. I was not able to have a BM the entire time the stent was in. Anyway, by day 5 of having the stent I started to feel a bit better. It still bothered me now and then, mostly at night for some reason. Urinating was still uncomfortable, but not horribly so. I was taking the Detrol for the bladder spasms and the Pyridium for the burning, which helped a lot. I feel brand new now that the stent is out. I hope your symptoms are improving and if they aren't you should really talk to your doctor. My doc wanted to leave it in longer because he said I really should get an x-ray first to see if all the fragments had passed.... but I told him no way, you need to take this thing out NOW. I can't live like this any longer.... So he took it out and I'm supposed to get a CAT scan in 3 weeks to see if there are any fragments left. Good luck to you, I hope you're doing better.

I had a kidney transplant 6 months ago. They placed a stent in during surgery and I had it removed 3 weeks later. I felt no pain during the removal procedure or afterwards. The worst for me was the anxiety before :-D
But everyone is different.

tomorrow i will have operation of taking out of stent from my kidney iam very scared plz GOD help me i dont want to get a pain again as i felt after operation

i got stent opration yesterday i read peoples comments on internet net i was scare when i went there i ment for surgery i told to doctor iam scaring so plz firstly make me sleep and then take it out doctor said its not very pain full ,but i was not agree so they gave me some injection for making me sleep and after this when i woke up they took stent out now iam not feeling pain in my penis and very happy :-D
now iam feeling little bit pain in my pennis when i pass urine but doctor told me you will be ok in next few days .so if any person have stent operation go to your doctor and tell him plz make me sleep ,in this way you will not feel any pain :-P

Hello, I have had an operation to repair PUJO. After the surgeon fitted a stent which is to removed on Monday after 3 weeks. After My PUJO operation i was in the most awful terrible pain. 3 weeks later i still find it tricky to walk with ease and have constant discomfort. Would this be caused by the stent?? Also the procedure to remove stent will be done under local anaesetic which i am so scared about especially as the surgeon suggested i had a general. This is not being done as whilst on morphine, codeine oxygen and others i was told i could be out of hospital in a day if i had a local, which after what i had just been through was a good thought. Is this removal going to be so so terrible?? I have been told i have a low pain threshold??? Please help i need guidance and if people have taken painkillers before procedure??? thank you. T

Early in the mornining of 10/23 I went to the Emergency Room for kidney stone pain. I have a love history of stones so I knew the pain and what was causing it. I was seen by a Uriologist and told that I had a stone embedded in my ureteral wall just under my hip bone. I was taken to surgery from the ER and a stent was placed and was discharged from the hospital the next morning. I was to follow up for stent removal on 10/29 and spent the 6 days it was in place feeling horrible. I had the stent removed in my doctors office and the removal itself was a piece of cake.. I'd say I had maybe 30 seconds of discomfort and then it was over.

I got home and was so excited to have the stent out! I had grand plans to catch up on my housework, laundry, etc. About 2 hours after the stent came out I was doubled over in pain. The pain was far worse than any stone I've ever experienced! I called the doctor's office and was told that this was normal. I was taking 7.5 of Lortab every 2 hours (instead of the every 6 directed by the doctor) and still could not manage to even take the edge off of the pain. I was like this for 24 hours before I could not take it anymore and went back to the Emergency Room the morning of 10/30. I was taken back to surgery the morning of 10/31 and was told that there was extensive damage from where the stone was removed with a laser. The pain was caused by all the blood and tissue that my body was trying to pass obstructing the ureter much like a stone would; so another stent was placed.

I don't follow up until 11/13 and I am pretty miserable. I tire out so easily and am feeling pretty much helpless.
normal household chores leave me exausted and in pain. I am constantly in what ranges from moderate discomfort to moderate pain. I urinate at least twice an hour 24 hours a day and am passing what looks like a mixture of blood clots and tiny pieces of ground meat. I tried to get out and go to the grocery store yesterday and had to come home and go straight to bed after because I felt so awful. I've been taking Lortab 7.5 every 4 hours and Pyridium 200mg 3 times a day.

As miserable as I am, I am now terrified of the stent coming out. I worry that I will still not be healed and have to go through all of this again. This has been the most exausting and depressing 2 weeks of my life.

I'm sharing my experience because I need to vent and would like to put my story out there so if anyone else goes through this they know they are not alone.

Edit: I don't know how I managed to type "love history" instead of long history....

It seems like the general consensus is having a stent out is not nearly as bad as it staying in. I had a couple of kidney stones 10 years ago, but they passed on their own. Then, two weeks ago, I was hit with terrible low pelvic pain and ended up in the ER with a really large stone (9 mm). While in the ER, it "moved to happier place" was I was able to be discharged and waited a week to see the Urologist with moderate discomfort to mild pain. A week ago, they went in and blasted the thing with a Homien laser and got it out and then put the stent in. The stupid stent hurts WAY worse than the kidney stone did. I spent the first 4 days in really awful pain with a LOT of bleeding. It has gotten better every day this week, but even moderate movement becomes really uncomfortable starts the bleeding up again. I too am passing clots now at times, which makes me kind of nervous. They are supposed to take the stent out next week with just some numbing agent, so of course I'm scared. It doesn't help that I'll probably be on my period when that happens, so goody, cramps + stent + compromising position .. is it silly for me to ask for some Versed or something?

I don't think it'd be silly to ask or Versed, but you'll have the coolest doctor in the world if you're lucky enough to get it!

The removal is really not that bad. I would reccommend taking a pain pill about an hour before and you should do just fine. My experience with the removal was a really quick and easy and only uncomfortable for just a few seconds.

I was taken into the procedure room and placed in stirrups. The nurse cleaned me with Betadine and injected the lidocaine jelly into my urethra which I did not feel at all. I was left in that position for about a minute and the doctor came in and inserted the scope. If you have ever been catheterized it is the exact same sensation; I felt just a tiny bit of burning and pressure during the insertion. The scope was in my bladder within seconds and the doctor then added saline to fill the bladder; again just a bit of pressure. Not much different than the constant sensation of needing to pee that I am having with a stent in. Once the stent was visualized by the scope (you should get to watch on the screen as well and I found that to be a good distraction) it took a few seconds to get it grabbed and then was out in less than 5 seconds. I did gasp as it was coming out, but it was over so quick that by the time I reacted it was already done. It stung a bit to pee after; again very similar to the sensation of constantly needing to go that I am having with the stent. Unfortunately after that I had complications, but if all goes well with you I think you'll find that the anxiety over having it done is much worse than the procedure.

I too will have my period at the time my stent comes out so I feel you on that one. I'm thinking I'll take motrin 2 hours before and Lortab 1 hour before just to cover all my bases. Let me know how things turn out and good luck!