I had my appendix removed two weeks ago. Ever since that I have been experiencing chronic nerve pain. Is this related with the appendectomy procedure? Can someone explain to me the procedure of appendix removal? Thanx

If the pain that you are experiencing is severe you should contact your doctor. Appendix is a worm-shaped hollow pouch attached to the beginning of the large intestine. Appendectomy is the surgical removal of the appendix. Appendectomies are performed to treat an inflamed and infected appendix, appendicitis and they are considered a major surgical operation. The general surgeon can remove the appendix after the patient is anesthetized. The removal of the appendix can be done either by using the traditional open procedure or by laparoscopy. In the traditional open procedure 2-3 in incision is made in the abdomen and in laparoscopic procedure four 1 in incisions are made in the abdomen. The mortality rate of appendicitis has dramatically decreased over time and it is estimated at 1-2 per million cases of appendicitis. If it occurs, death is usually due to peritonitis, intra abdominal abscess or severe infection following rupture. Recovery from an appendectomy is similar to other operations and patients are allowed to eat when the stomach and intestines begin to function again. I advise you to go to your doctor about that nerve pain.