Hi. I`m 29 yo M and had a ureteroscopic surgergy for removal of a stone located in my ureter. A doctor has placed a stent in my ureter for a while. Well, the stone is gone now, but I have this burning pain when urinating and there is some blood in my urine. I think that this got something to do with the stent. Will removal of the stent disturb the healing?

Hi. My uncle had a stent removal procedure and his ureter healed over the stent with no problem at all. I think that there is no critical time of stent removal after ureteral perforation. The most of ureteral perforations heal in some four or five weeks. Stent removal is most commonly accomplished through a flexible cystoscope. You should prevent the forming of new stones. Drink more fluid. My uncle drinks 2l of water every day (the water is the best). You should also know that some serious complications of a ureteral stent may occur , such as bleeding, catheter migration, coiling of the stent within the ureter, infection, and penetration of adjacent organs.

I had a ureter stent removal 4days after my procedure to remove a kidney stone and i felt it was to soon after has i was in serious pain for over a week!

Hey everybody! I'm new here; just registered a few minutes ago after reading many of the posts here and I would to like to share my expirience (I will try to make a very long story short). I am a 37 y/o female with a 22 year history of kidney stones. The past 3 years or so, my stone production has dropped dramitically to about 1 per year (back in 2004/2005, I was passing approx 1-2 a month during those 2 years). When I was taken off of my birth control pill back in July of '05 due to a pulmonary embolism, stone rate dropped to almost non-existant. My father in law who is a renal transplant surgeon said that possibly my bcp interfered with the utililization of both calcium and vitamin D, thus causing increased rate of stone production (something my urologist never considered, but I think I believe my father in law much more than my uro). Incidentally, I have also noticed that since the discontinuation of the Pill, my interstital cystitis has pretty much gone away :-)

I was doing great up until about 3 weeks ago when my husband took my to the ER in the middle of the night for excrucating pain and vomiting. I was writhing around in pain and couldn't find a comfortable position for me to be in; all I could do was pace the floor, hunched over. The ER doctor was great and took my pain and what I was going through very seriously (I had a very bad expirience about 8 years ago when I ended up in the ER in severe pain and the doctor said that I was drug seeking when I wasn't!). Anyway, this recent ER visit, the doctor made me very comfortable with IV pain meds BEFORE sending me to CT; from my previous expiriences, ER docs won't give you ANY type of pain relief until AFTER you've had your CAT scan). So, I had the CT done and the doctor came in and said that I had an approx. 15mm stone in the lower pole of my left kidney. At first I thought he said 5mm (which I've had before, but have somehow passed on my own, but not without being in severe pain). The doctor said, no, you have a 15mm stone. At that point, I asked him "how on earth am I going to pass a stone THAT BIG?!?". He said "you're not going to pass it, and you need to get into your urologist when his office opens first thing in the morning; I wouldn't wait much longer". So, I was sent home with a script for strong pain meds and Zofran (a very effective medication for nausea and vomiting).

I called my urologist and had stent placement done under general anesthesia 2 days later (I had to wait about 2 weeks to have PCNL done due to my uro's surgery schedule). The first 5-7 days of having the stent put in was pure h3ll; pain, pain and more pain and lots of fluids and Lortab (couldn't do much of anything except lay in bed with a heating bad on my belly, which I think did help a little). After that, I was able to get out of the house for short periods of time (I got tired very easily). I then had the PCNL surgery done last Tuesday (the 15th). I was supossed to be admitted to the hospital for one night only, but things didn't go as planned. I developed 2 complications: a collapsed lung and blood loss significant enough for my to receive a transfusion; 3 units of blood. I ended up coming home 5 days later with a nephrostomy tube attached to a urine collection bag. I just had the tube removed 2 days after being discharged from the hospital, and beleive me, the removal was no picnic either.

I know I promised to make a long story short, but I'm getting there, so please bear with me, lol. I still have the stent-from-hell in >;) and am scheduled to have it removed in my urologist's office next Thursday (a week from today). This is, thankfully, the only other stent I've ever had, but when I had the previous one removed, it was pure agony (and it was done in the hospital), but not under conscious sedation, nor was ANY type of pain control administered. Yes, I did have topical 'numbing' medication, but it did absolutely nothing. As soon as the scope went in, I had a pain that was unlike any other pain that I had ever expirienced in my life; it felt like I was being stabbed over and over again with a very large butcher knife. The next thing I know, I began to get very lightheaded and saw "stars"; then I yelled at the urologist (who was not my usual one) and the nurses that I was about to throw up, so I was turned on my side and everything came up. The doctor then said "are you done yet? we don't have much more to go, it's almost out". OMFG!!! What kind of sadistic animal would say something like that to his patient??? After the removal, I couldn't walk straight for about 3 days because of the pain; after that, things started to subside. Needless to say, I got another urologist, not that he's been any better when it comes to bedside manner.

So because of my previous expirience with stent removal, I am dreding next Thursday. I called up my uro's office earlier today and asked if I could have it done under conscious sedation (versed and fentanyl) and he said NO! That it only takes a few seconds. When I explained my previous expirience with stent removal, he didn't care. Since then, I've been in tears. I don't know what else to do, except take a double dose of lortab before the stent removal, but I'm not sure if that's going to make any difference. I really don't want to be aware of what is going on, hence the Veresed. I'm waiting for one of the nurses to call me back to see if I can get the stent removed by another doctor in the practice (preferably one who actually cares about the comfort and well-being of his patients). When I had the stent put in 3 weeks ago, it was done under a small amount of propofol (a general anesthetic) by another doctor in the practice, so I don't see why this other doctor can't do the same for me (btw, he's not my usual urologist; he just did my PCNL). The other doctor who put the stent in knows me and my history and actually decided on the last minute that he was going to do the stent placement under GA for my comfort and that he didn't want me to have an unpleasant expirience or memories because of it. I'm now trying to find out if my other urologist can do the same thing for me next week, but the procedure scheduler that I spoke with said that he's booked for another 3-4 weeks (for anesthesia), and I'm not sure if I can wait that long to have the stent removed (I've been miserbale the past 4 days). I'm at a loss as to what to do. It's my body, but at the same time, I don't want to push my uro too much; I think he's already mad at me. I just don't know what to do. As a side note, I also have severe pain when I go to my gynocologist for my yearly pap, so just doing that alone is unbearable (I have some other conditions that make things like that painful). I feel completely alone and scared. Any suggestions? PS: my PCNL surgery was a success (if you can call it that); my 15mm stone was totally removed.

PPS: Just heard back from one of the nurses at my uro's office and she was a real piece of work. She said "well, I don't know know how you could've had such a bad expirience last time; no one else has pain from having their stent removed'. I really had to hold myself back from giving this a woman an earful; I just 'thanked' her for her time and hung up. Looks like I'll be looking for yet another urologist (not one from the same practice) that actually gives a cr@p about their patients.

I realize this is a late response to this post but I just discovered this site after suffering for over 6 months with recurring UTI's which the doctor believed was caused by the large kidney stone they discovered (1.2 cm). Surgery was scheduled for 5/31 but on 5/24 I was admitted to the hospital because I had spiked a temp and the infection was running rampant. I had already been prescribed about 20 rounds of antibiotics but to no avail so the next step was IV antibiotics along with IV fluids. By the time I had the surgery (laser lithotripsy), the infection was better, however, an hour after the surgery, I spiked another fever and my bp crashed so I was admitted to ICU. The doctor explained the infection seemed to get worse once the stone was broken up since it had no place to hide now. I think the technical term is sepsis but that is not how the doctor explained it. Meanwhile, he had already placed a stent in my ureter to help pass the stone fragments. The stent caused severe pain for me along with a continual feeling of urgency, needing to urinate. Once the stent was removed on 6/16, I was hoping the urge would subside but instead the urge seems to be stronger now along with the blood in my urine getting darker. He did prescribe the pyridium to help with the spasms but that ended 3 days after the stent was removed. In addition, the removal was quite painful and took several attempts after the doctor informed me that he was having difficulty locating my bladder. All I could think was, "What does that mean?" "If the doctor can't find it, then who can... OMG!"

I just want to say that this whole experience has been overwhelming and upsetting. I am still not feeling better and I am supposed to return to work tomorrow. I am re-thinking that right now. As for your problem, I would strongly suggest that you insist on anesthesia because you are the patient and you are paying for the procedure. It is your right to be treated with respect and compassion. I realize that the procedure is probably over for you by now but I posted my response in the hope that anyone else going through this kind of problem will at least know they are not alone. Good luck to all of us!