Hi, my father had some problems with dark, bloody urine and a kidney pain and was diagnosed with kidney cancer, so called renal cell carcinoma. He`s in the hospital now, waiting to be operated. The cancer has spread and they will have to remove his entire left kidney. So, I would like to know more about kidney removal. Anybody with experience?

Hi, I`m 42 and for the past 2 years I`ve been living without my right kidney. Kidney removal (or nephrectomy) is a surgical procedure that is done while the patient is unconscious and under general anesthesia. Incision is made in the side of the abdomen. The ureter and the blood vessels are cut away and then the kidney can be removed. For some patients, the operation can be done laparoscopically. That means that a surgeon will use laparoscope to visualize the kidney through 3 or 4 incisions, no longer than inch. Many people live with only one kidney, so no worries. Your Dad will need to rest more and not to do anything heavy.

I was diagnosed 2 days ago with renal cell carcinoma and kidney will be removed in 4 weeks. Pretty scared but have been very healthy all my life so with luck this could give me a few more years. I don't feel ready to go yet but it is all out of my hands and I hope for the best