Hey everyone,

I seen a nurse at our doctors last week, and my blood pressure is still a high. I've been given the tablets I was already taking, and have to take them as usual until Tuesday. The doctor I have been seeing wasn't in, so the nurse spoke to this other doctor, and he wants to keep an eye on me, with me only having one kidney and being young. I have an appointment with him on Tuesday at 14.20pm, and he's going to test my BP again, and if needed he may up the dosage I'm on.

However, I've also been asked to take a urine sample in. Now here comes the problem, I started my period last night. I'm usually on my period for about 5/6 days. So I could get my sample on Tuesday morning, however I will probably still be bleeding. Can I still take in a Urine sample when I'm on my period. Obviosuly I will be bleeding, so it could be detected as blood from the kidneys - which obviously it isn't.

Thanks for anyone who can advise.

Hi Claire,

Speak to the nurse or doctor and let them know.  There are other ways to obtain a sample.

Blood will show as blood.

Hope it helps.

Will do, Dan. I'll try and get hold of them on Monday, if not would you just leave the sample and speak to them at my appt on Tuesday? As far as I know, the doc is only planning on testing my BP on Tuesday. Maybe I could take the sample in later on in the week when I've finished. When you say other ways? What other ways are there to get the sample? It's weird like on some forums I read about people who had to give a urine sample when on periods, and they just took a sample in anyway and let the doctor know they were on there period - then if any blood showed up they would know the reason why. Should I do that if I can't get hold of them?

Hi Claire,

I'd ask them.  Let them know what is going on.

Since it sounds like this is really a BP appointment they may be able to wait a few days, you could bring the sample in later.

Other ways = catheter  Not pleasant and not really necessary in this case I think.

Good luck.

You can still do the urine test but just let them know that it is that time of month and they will make note of that. You could call them ahead of time and ask if you should delay that urine test one week.