I have heard someone is ashamed of his urine smell, because it is stronger then others. I guess there are different kinds of urine, but I would like to know what strange odor means. Is that true that food can provoke change in urine smell, or it could be some disease. Are there some tests to confirm that, or everyone should know it on its own? What diagnosis could be accompanied with change in urine smell?

Off course there are tests that can assesses urine smell. If you want to perform this test, you should collect a "clean-catch" (midstream) urine sample. To obtain a clean-catch sample, men or boys should wipe clean the head of their penises. Women or girls need to wash the area between the lips of the vagina with soap. As you start to urinate, allow a small amount to fall into the toilet bowl first. This clears the urethra of contaminants. Then, in a clean container, catch about 1 to 2 ounces of urine and remove container form urine stream. Then you should give the container to the health care provider or assistant. Abnormal urine smell may indicate hepatic failure, ketonuria, maple sugar urine disease, or some urinary tract infection. Also it is important to know that when urine sits at room temperature, some of the chemicals in the urine may break down and cause an ammonia-like odor. That is true that some food, asparagus for example, produces a characteristic urine smell.

I am 72 years old and in excellent health. I don't take any medication. I watch what I eat, etc. For the past 6 months, my urine smells smokey, like the smell of bacon. It goes away sometimes. I wonder if this is a sign of sometime wrong in my body? The reason why I suspect something wrong is that my mother, 3 months before her death of cancer (1975), had complained to her family doctor of a foul smell coming from her urine; the doctor took it lightly by saying that it was not an area that smells good!!
The smell does not really bother me, but on the other I should disregard any signs given by my body.
Can anyone explain the symptoms I have?