Hey everyone,

When I was a baby (6 months old), I had an operation because I didn't open up properly 'down there'. I had a scan at the same time, and the doctor told my mum that he could only see one kidney - now we have never had this confirmed.

I am now 21 and last week, I finally plucked up the courage to go and speak to the doctor about it. While there, my doctor said he was going to test my blood pressure, I told him I had actually had this doen a few months back and was told it was fine (I had one of them 12 hour monitors). He go the graph of the results from that machine up on the screen and said he can't understand why they didn't phone me back as the results are very high for anyone, especially someone of my age. He tested it again and it was 159 over something - which he said is again really quite high.

Based on these results, he wanted a urine sample and a blood test. I also have to have an ultrasound scan, to see if I do only have one kidney (which I have an appt for next Tuesday)

I had the blood test today and took my urine sample back in - I was told that I can phone up on Wednesday to see if the results are back from those as they only take a few days.

If I phone up on Wednesday and the results from the blood and urine come back fine, would it still be advisable to go back to see my doctor after the ultrasound scan? Based on the fact that my blood pressure is as high as it is? I only ask this because when it comes to doctors, I hate looking daft and if the urine and blood are ok, they might be like "oh right, everything's fine!"

Oh, and you can't tell if there's protein in your blood just by looking at it can you? Like can you have a perfectly healthy colour of urine and there can still be protein in it?

159 over something? What is the something? 159 for the systolic is very high for someone at 21 but it could be due to anxiety or some other issue. The something is important. Can you find out what it is?

You've probably heard 120 over 80 before? 120 is closer to where you should be at your age. 120 is when the heart compresses, the 80 when its relaxed.

I suspect he wants a urine sample to see if there is any damage to your kidneys. High blood pressure can damage them.

Yes, you want to get your BP checked again and controlled if it is high. Untreated high BP can cause kidney damage, strokes, visual problems, heart attacks, heart problems, arterial problems, and more.

This is not something to ignore. High BP is known as the "silent killer." Please follow up on this. Treatment is usually by medications and the outlook when controlled is very good.

Keep us posted.

All these tests came about because I orginally went to discuss with my doctor whether it would be worth finding out for definite if I have one or two kidneys, due to not getting it confirmed when I was a baby. It was when he tested the blood pressure and it was high, and when he saw the previous blood pressure readings that he decided to get a urine and blood sample done, and send me for an ultrasound scan to find out how many kidney's I have actually got.

The diastolic has always been fine, around 73. It's always the systolic that's been high when I've had my BP tested.

I've been told I can phone up on Wednesday to see if the results from the blood test and urine sample are back in. Then on Tuesday afternoon, I have an ultrasound scan to confirm whether or not I only have one kidney.

Would it be best to get the results of the blood and urine at the same time as the scan, or go in and get them earlier, if they are in?

I definitely will make sure I go back, gonna have to go back anyway for the test/scan results.

73 is very good. I was afraid that it would be higher.

I don't think it matters in which order you get the ultrasound and test results back. At some point you'll want to discuss all this with your doctors anyway.

Keep us posted with the results.

Good luck.

Yeah, so the diastolic one is fine. Just worrying why the systolic is so high! :-S

I will definitely make sure I keep you all posted with the results! :-)

Thanks for all your help! I was like ooh, if I phone up on Wednesday and get told the urine and blood results are fine, they'll not want me in again. But now I'm like yeah, they will actually because I'll have to see about the ultrasound (how many kidney's I've got) and I'll have to go and discuss the high BP and get some help to bring it down.

So tomorrow is the day I can phone up to see if my urine and blood results are back.

I tested my blood pressure on my mum's machine today, and it was 155/83 - so would that definitely be advisable to go back to the doctor who has sent me for all these tests, and said it was high in the first place?

I'm sure the receptionist in our doctors didn't have a clue what she was on about. First she said if my blood and urine results were normal, I don't have to go back. I had told her about my BP being high and the fact I have an ultrasound on Tuesday, and she then said if the doctor has advised you to go back due to your BP being high, then yes, but if not no - he didn't advise me, he just said they were high. But then I presume I'm gonna have to go back for the kidney ultrasound result anyway, and if he said it's high, it's definitely worth making another appt isn't it

155/83 is better but still worth asking about.

Clarify with the doctor when you get your results. Just tell the receptionist that you want to discuss the results with the doctor and make an appointment.

Good luck, keep us posted.

Hiya Dan,

Just phoned the surgery and there's no results back yet, but the receptionist can see on the screen what blood and urine tests i've had done and she said that they should definitely be back by Friday afternoon at the latest.

On another note, I just tested my blood pressure (keep testing it at random times in the day) and it's 158/95 - so it's up from yesterday. It's quite annoying that it keeps going up and down.

Thanks for the update Claire.

FYI, the 95 is considered high. I'm glad you're keeping track of this. Make sure to discuss it with your doctor.

No problem, Dan. Is the 158 for the systolic considered high aswell??

Ultrasound next Tuesday, so will probably make my appointment later next week or early the week after.

Dunno if any of this is worth discussing also, but I seem to get quite frequent headaches. I'm feeling pretty down because I'm job-searching but I don't really find it easy, ever since being little I've had difficulty socialising with new people. I'm fine with family but when it comes to others my confidence just goes. I panic about parties/interviews etc... weeks before they are due to happen! It's horrible! So I don't really have a social life, I basically lie in my room most days with curtains closed etc.. only really get up to make brews for the parents. The smallest things now make me smile, they might seem like nothing to others.

Yes Claire, 158 is high, 158/95 is high and needs to get checked.

Anxiety usually plays with the systolic, higher number, a bit. But the lower is the "resting" pressure and over 90 is a concern.

I don't know if the headaches are related, its possible. You seem to be under some stress and that can aggravate this situation. Talk to your doctor.

Hang in there Claire.

Hiya Dan,

Thought you might like to know, I went for my ultrasound scan yesterday and the doctor confirmed I do only have one kidney, it's the left one that I have.

My blood results have come back, the doctor has seen them and they are normal, thank god! The receptionist said there is some urine results from the hospital and they look fine, but my doctor hasn't seen them yet so obviously she can't give me the exact diagnosis of them yet!

MY BP is still very high, though! I mentioned this to the receptionist and she said that it does actually say to make an appointment with my dcotor after the results have come back, so I have an appointment next Tuesday at 5.10pm as he's on holiday at the moment.

You're right, I am under alot of stress at the moment. I finished 6th form in 2008 and since maybe 2 months after that, I started feeling down and stressed. I got a job at Sports Direct in 2009 for 3 months, and I thought I'd start feeling better, but I just felt even worse. Since I finished there in September 2009, most days of my life have basically been get up, eat out of boredom, try and keep my mood up and go back to bed again. People nag at me to get out of the house for a bit, but I just feel that down, that once I do go out, I just wanna get back in the house and go to bed. Is it worth mentioning that when I go next week as that could be affecting my BP?

Hi Claire,

Thanks for the update. At least you know for sure now about the one kidney. I am glad that the results have come back normal.

When you see the doctor, a good thing, please mention what you just told me. The stress, the boredom, and the nagging, all of it can play havoc on your blood pressure.

Keep us posted Claire and good luck next week.

Dan

Hiya Dan,

My doctors appointment is at 5.10pm today, so I will let you know how I get on. :-D

Thanks for the update Claire. Good luck!