Hi everyone. I am really worried for my best friend Sarah. She called me a couple of days ago and she told me that she broke up with her boyfriend. This time that is it. This is final and they will never be together again. Their relationship was really messed up and she was really sad. But today she called me and she was scared as hell. She told me that she can't feel the taste of foods and drinks and that she can't even smell them. I was wondering is this because of the depression? Can depression cause you to lose your senses of taste and smell?

Yes, depression can definitely cause you to lose your senses of taste and smell. Actually, these things are a warning sign of depression, if you feel like you are losing your senses of taste and smell, you should probably be worried that you are getting depressed. Regarding your friend's current situation, the odds are really against her and she might be falling into depression. I would recommend you to stick by her side during these days until she gets better. Don't leave here alone until she gets better, once she falls into depression, it is extremely hard to snap out of it.

Like Gaia said, these are the things that are in most cases the early signs of depression. However, you shouldn't rush into making any conclusions, give your friend some time for all the things that just happened to settle down. After some time passes, a few days, a few weeks, then you can see how she is doing. She will probably be okay, this could all be happening just because she broke up with her boyfriend and she is feeling down now, most of the people feel like that whey they break up with someone who they really, really care about.

You should be there for her. I mean, it is important that someone is there for her but if she doesn't have anyone really, or if you are the closest person to her that she has, then you should be there for her until she gets over her ex boyfriend because she is really prone to falling into depression now. Losing your senses of taste and smell are just two common warning signs of depression which are indicating that you are likely to fall into the depressed state of mind. That is why I advise you to be there for her until she gets better.

Hey guys. Thank you so much for being so supportive. Trust me, I am there for her because I can see how hard time she is having. A couple of days ago she was much better and she told me that she feels that her taste and smell is back, but yesterday she had the same problem - she didn't feel anything. I was reading that there is a huge chance that stress can cause this, that stress can affect our sense of taste. But what can I do to help her? How to calm her down, how to make her less stressed? I think that, whatever I do, there is no chance for it...

Hey dear Tommy.

Personally, I believe that you can't do much about it. Sure that loss of sense of taste can be inflicted by depression, but whatever you try to do for your friend won't help. Instead of trying to find a way to help her, why don't you go instead of her and consult some doctor about it?

Maybe, after you learn more about this, you will find a way to convince her to go to the doctor?

But those are definitely early signs of stress, but again, maybe it is something totally different than depression.

That is why she needs a doctor. 

Apparently, she is dealing with some problem. But it doesn't necessarily needs to be depression. A couple of signs can indicate that she is dealing with depression in this case, and those signs are: - if she has this ugly, metallic taste in the mouth. - If she has acidic taste in her mouth. In that case, she will have totally different tastes. But still, the biggest issue is that it does appear taste buds can change when they're under stress. It seems that stress has a role in taste.