I had a 24 hour stomach virus which was awful I couldnt eat any thing or hold down water for that lenght of time. Afterwards when I started to eat every thing I would smell has a burnt aroma and taste as well. Even toothpaste, coffee, all food. Even when I went in a gas station the next day I quess it was the hot dog machine, but the same burning smell...it's making me crazy. Does anyone have an answer?

Hi me too. Just got back from Vietman with Giardia and all i keep smelling is a burnt sugar cane smell. it was really bad for a while and I thought i was going crazy. Everything had this smell or taste. I have been burping a lot and it smelt quite eggy.. a symptom of giardia i believe. Has your smell returned to normal? :(

you know occasionally when i get sick everything smells the same to me especially all foods. I dunno if i would call it burnt, but ive had the flu for the past couple of days and i tried to eat a burger and it tasted burnt and it was burnt. In any case the smell isnt appealing and it destroys my appetite. Also this isnt the first time its happened to me so id love to figure out what exactly it is.

ugh.. yeah I just had the flu as well and now everything smells and tastes the same - I can't describe the taste/smell but it is disgusting and I just want to taste the real thing!

In a way I am pleased to see this is not just me. My doctor sent me to the ear nose & throat section at hospital and what a waste of time. They say it could be in my mind!!! I smell only what I can say is burnt plastic and now my taste is going. I have asked if I can have a scan to see if anything out of the ordenary is there but he says not required and my smell will return as normal. 12 months now like this and it makes life not so good.

i am so glad im not the only one the thought of having this for 12 months though......wow. thanks all for posting

Did you ever figure out what the ashy taste was? I started experiencing the same symptom about 2 months ago. Everything tastes and smells ashy. It's driving me nuts.

- Susan in Seattle

I took the antibiotics; no relief. If I walk into a new room or a grocery store or a restaurant, I can smell all the different odors just fine for a few minutes. Then, inevitably, all I can smell is that burnt-dust smell you get when your air conditioning changes over to heating for the first time in the fall/winter.
I've tried spritzing myself with perfume & vanilla extract; that works for a few minutes.
This weekend, I finally bought myself a pack of cigarettes to help; each smoke lasts about 7 minutes.
This has gone on for about 2 months now & is making me nauseous.

I have been fighting off various colds and flu for the last 3 months, nothing serious, just what the kids bring home from school. I think I'm finally coming into the clear, but this past week I noticed everything tastes like ash. The taste seems to be coming from the back of my throat, but affects everything I eat. I've been gargling and that helps for a little while, but it would be nice to know what's causing it.

I went to Red Lobster for fathers day late pm 2008. By the time I got home I was feeling sick and sneezing. My daughter riding with us had some sort of cold and was caughing. I had to travel all week and barely made it through the week.

Now when I am in traffic I get nausious with the burnt fumes of the cars in FL where I live.

Also most coffee has lost that nice smell and seems burnt.

Cigarette smoke now makes me nausious.

I had lost all tsate of everything for amosts 2 months and every now and then I can taste an egg or toast or orange juice, but tomatos have lost all flavor.

Is there an additive we are burning the the fuel with this gasahol that is poisioning us? I read 6 years ago that a chemical in the winter time that is extremely deadly and cannot be removed from water or food is leaching out of tailpipes as this chemical allow gas to be cheaper to burn in fuels with it added. It was said that that element could possibly weaken all water supplies.

I AM AN ATHELETE AND THIS IS TROUBLESOME TOTALLY, SO; Is any of this or all of this related? I was perfectly well. Now I am concerned about metal poisioning but can't find any comparisons such as this except for too much zinc. Eat apples and get it out of system? It is possible that anyone cares in our government or is this just an isolated thing? Seems weird that so many people are haveing the same dilema.

I have had the same problem for a couple of months now after the flu. I have been unable to describe the smell that all everything (good and bad) smells like. But yes it is a burnt smell. Would like to hear if anyone's sense of smell has returned !!

ive had the same problem, and dont worry, its just the flu, or some other virus. To me, it smells and tastes like sour mustard (YUCK!) But the good thing is, it seems to be mostly meats with me. but dear god i hate it >:-( >;)

i had the flu in the spring and still havent been able to regain my sense of taste or smell except for that awful burnt odor/taste everyone is describing--once in a while i can taste pineapple or citrus fruits but not often--it seems to be stronger with foods that have a higher fat content like meat, butter, oil -- i think it is so gross that i can hardly eat at times--so this has been hanging on for 9 months --antibiotics didnt help me either

My first time to this site - I have the same burnt or bitter taste for a week now. I was sick but didn't notice a change until I had pretty much kicked it (cold / flu). It is very annoying to have everything taste so bad. I don't really notice a change in smells though. When be following this thread and continuing to research on my own... no faith in doctors in this country anymore. Best to all in figuring this out!

hi i too have the same problem. ive been smelling the same thing now for 2 years and sometimes when i eat the food tastes watery..it started when swine flu broke out..ive been to my doctors and he didnt really comment on it..ilive near a bakery and really miss smelling the fresh bread being baked and miss other smells too.. its frustrating..i cant really discribe the smell .it often makes me feel ill as i sometimes taste it at the back of my throat..if anyone finds a cure pleaseeeeeee helpppppppppppppppppppppppp..