Hi everyone. My brother’s dog has some problems. I won’t even start explaining and describing all of his health issues but it is driving me crazy. I hate to see him suffer. Every single allergy that exists – he has it.

Every single virus he is in contact with- he catches it.

Every single time he goes swimming (in the summer)- he catches a cold. His immune system is useless.

Anyway, the vet told my brother that he could improve his immune system by making a balanced diet of raw food for him. What does this even mean? What does this diet look like?

Well it means that he should take good care of his dog’s diet, and not only feed him with raw food but also make sure that his meals are nutritionally balanced. So if he is feeding his dog a homemade diet (raw or cooked), he might add certain foods or some supplements for optimal nutritional balance. 

I definitely recommend adding a mixture of pureed vegetables and probiotics to his dog's meals. The mixture will provide antioxidants, enzymes, vitamins and stuff like that. And you cannot find that in muscle meat. And it will also improve his digestion (because of the probiotics).  

I totally agree that he needs to feed him homemade raw food. I firmly believe that only that kind of diet can boost dog’s immune system; especially if he’s too prone to illnesses.

Your brother needs to restrict him fats so his dog doesn’t become obese. Also, he needs to include boneless meat (poultry and red meat, both), fish (remember to remove the bones), organs (beef liver is a must), plain yogurt and starchy vegetables (such as sweet potatoes and winter squashes).

A final piece of advice is supplements; some are required, some are optional. I recommend calcium, fish and cod liver oil.

Hope this is going to help a bit. 

Hello all. I hate when vets don’t have the time to actually explain the thoughts that they share with us.
How many times have you heard a vet say ‘’ try to enhance his immune system’’. Like I’ve had a dog for an eternity. He is just a puppy, explain me how to do that… gosh!
But it doesn’t matter, that’s why we are here. To help each other and share experiences.:)
Balanced diet should probably include: meat (including organs), veggie and fruit puree, homemade vitamin and mineral mix and different supplements such as probiotics, enzymes, super green foods and stuff like that.

Your brother is totally right, because raw food diet can make immune system of your dog much better. I know from my own experience. I am feeding my dog with raw for almost 6 years and at the beginning, I didn’t want to do that, but later I saw all benefits that my dog can get from it :)

I make raw food for my dog by myself. I always mix some meat and some vegetables. This is the great balance for every dog, and this is something that I would recommend to anyone. In the end, the goal of feeding a raw food diet to dogs is to introduce all natural homemade foods, right? 

Hey. Is this really true? Because, I have a dog and she has some problem with his immune system as well. Honestly, he is very often cold, and I don’t know what to do anymore. I was consulting the vet, and he told me that I should change her menu and some groceries. Now I realize that he was thinking about raw food, right?
I was always skeptical about raw food for my dog, he is two years old, and I want to change his menu, I really do :/ Do you really suggest me to try raw food? I want everything the best for my Bella…

Hey. That is definitely this. You should try raw food, and then you will see is this good for your Bella or not…That is the only way, especially if your dog is really weak and I suppose that he is always tired. That is my suggestion, but I would always recommend you to consult your vet, because he is the only one who can help you find the real and right balance for your dog.

Some vets do not recommend raw homemade diet program, but I do..Because, I am feeding my dog at this way for years and my dog is perfectly healthy. 

Hello there. My sister had a similar problem with her dog. It was a winter, and her dog was really sick. His immune system was really down, and she was concerned about him. So, she changed his menu and way of eating, and he was really, but really good :) He was healthy, I think that he catch a cold once or twice in the last three years.

So, from this experience, I can say that this diet program is really good. Raw diet program is something that you should try and see what is going to happen.

Good luck! 

I like to think that my dog has a balanced diet that includes only raw food. I make sure he gets all the nutrients he needs. I read tons of books about dog nutrition. If you want I could recommend some?

I had a dog when I was a kid and after he got really sick, we took him to the vet. I remember the vet was criticizing my dad, telling him that he wasn’t feeding our dog well and that the dog will have to suffer the consequences of irregular diet.

My dad knew nothing about dog care, he was feeding him 3-4 times at the time he was 3 years old.

I support this claim (and, if you ask me, that is a fact). Only homemade raw food is a choice for your dog. I know we are all having problems with a lack of time, but your brother needs to find it enough for his pet. He needs to treat him like a member of family. If you don’t feed your kids properly, they will get overweight and will have serious health issues. That will be the fate of his dog as well.
So, tell him to make himself comfortable in the kitchen and start feeding his dog homemade raw food and enjoy!