I have a 5 year old son. Lately I have noticed that he has problems with his vision. I took him to doctor to check what was going on and I was shocked by the results of the examination. Doctor told me that my son has a condition called amblyopia or a lazy eye. I am so scared for my boy so I would like to know more details abouth his condition. What is the cause of amblyopia and is there a cure?

Amblyopia or lazy eye is a condition of eye and is not due to any eye disease. Lazy eye mainly affects one eye but it can manifest with reduction of vision in both eyes. For some reason, the eye does not fully acknowledge the images seen by an amblyopic eye. Both eyes must receive clear images during critical period of time, from birth till six years of age. The most common causes of lazy eye are constant strabismus-constant turn of one eye, blockage of an eye due to a trauma etc. Amblyopia is neurologically active process and suppression (inhibition process) can result in a permanent decrease of a vision. Many parents and children are unaware of the condition due to a fact that amblyopia almost always occurs in one eye only. The most important diagnostic tools are the special visual acuity tests. According to researches, the lazy eye condition can't be cured vithout early detection and treatment. It is good that you took your son to the doctor and now he has a chance to cure this condition.