Hi. My baby was diagnosed with congenital ptosis and doctor told me that a surgical correction may be necessary. He said it would help prevent amblyopia. I don` like the idea of surgery and would like to hear more about treatment of ptosis in infants.

Hi. Congenital ptosis is ptosis that is present at birth, and it usually occurs as an isolated problem. Some kids with CP have abnormal eye movements, neurological disease or eyelid tumors. Surgery is the most common treatment for CP, but it depends on child`s age and the severity of the condition. Ptosis can result in lazy eye, or amblyopia, and these conditions can persist if not treated early.

Well,
If I am not mistaking ptosis is a condition where your childes eyelids are not opened as they should be. This is usually caused by the weakness in the muscle of the eye that is responsible for opening of the eyelid. In mild cases of ptosis there is not much that you can do because the eye lid is not down too much. On the other hand if this condition is severe you need to take your baby to the doctor to get rid of this condition so the vision is developed normally. The fact is that treatment is usually consistent of surgery of the eye lid. I hope this helped you a little bit.
All the best,
Nelie