My baby is almost a year old and she seems to not following the moving objects with her eyes. We went to ophthalmologist and he said she might have developed the so called lazy eye. Can you give me the explanation what is it and why has it affected my child?

If the one eye developed a good vision and the other hasn’t, this is called a ”lazy eye”. The most often this happenes in the early childhood, and affects 2 or 3 out of 100 people. The best time to correct the lazy eye is in the childhood. It can happen that one eye is more lazy than other one, and is therefore called amblyopic. In the first years of life, children improve their vision, but if the eye is lazy it can’t be fully developed. It is important that ambyoplia is discovered and treated as early as it is possible. Ambyoplia has a few causes: strabismus (misaligned or crossed eyes), unequal focus, cloudiness in the normally clear eye tissues. The child should be examined by the ophtalmologist after the 4th year of life, but in babies it is hard to tell if they are amblyopic, but it could be achieved by covering one eye and watching how the other one reacts on moving objects. Correcting the weak eye is usually done by covering the strong eye for even months so that the weak eye gets better vision.