Hello. I'm 47 year old woman and I was a gourmand whole my life. What can I say, food is my only bad habit.
So, you are guessing my other problem also, and that is obesity problem.
I have talked with my rheumatologist several times about joints pains and he often sent me to some his friend-gastrologist to measure the level of cholestrol in my blood.
I didn’t know where is the connection between my condition and cholestrol level but I did these testing anyway.
Every now and then, he just add -you better watch your cholestrol, and I'm curious- what is important with this cholestrol and what is its purpose in human body?

Cholestrol is a soft, waxy substance found among the lipids (fats) in the bloodstream and in all your body's cells.
It's an important part of a healthy body because it's used to form cell membranes, some hormones and is needed for other functions. Beside these good roles of cholestrol, there are some bad ones.
High level of cholestrol called hypercholestrolemia — is a major risk factor for coronary heart disease, which leads to heart attack.
So, do you understand now why this is very serious condition.
There are several kinds of cholestrol in your body but main role is given to two types- LDL cholestrol and HDL cholestrol.
LDL cholestrol is the major cholestrol carrier in the blood. If too much LDL cholestrol circulates in the blood, it can slowly build up in the walls of the arteries feeding the heart and brain so it is called “bad” cholestrol.
The other one, HDL cholestrol tends to carry cholestrol away from the arteries and back to the liver, where it's passed from the body.
HDL cholestrol is known as "good" cholestrol because a high HDL level seems to protect against heart attack.
Typically the body makes all the cholestrol it needs, so people don't need to consume it.
To control your cholestrol, get a cholestrol screening, eat foods low in saturated fat and cholestrol, maintain a healthy weight, exercise regularly, quit smoking and reduce alcohol consuming.