My husband has been advised on knee replacement surgery. He has problems with his right knee since he was student. Anyway, he is diabetic also, and I worried that surgery may be risky for him. I was wondering if anyone can provide me basic info on duration of the procedure possible troubles that may occur, what recovery looks like etc. thank you in advance.

People with diabetes can undergo knee replacement surgery under medical supervision. I know only basic stuff about it. One of my friends had it. The surgery is not long little more than an hour, but he stayed in hospital for 5-6 days. He started walking 3 days after. He may need support of walker or walking stick after joint replacement depending on whether other joints are affected and It is advisable to use commode, avoid sitting on floor, jogging, running and fast sports after joint replacement surgery.

I am 57, diabetic and just had my knee replaced.
I live in Arizona--Research the doctors. I had what is called " computer navigated minimmally invasive knee replacement". I was in hospital 2 days. Up the night of surgery walking with walker. Physical therapy two times per day while in hospital. Out patient PT the next day. By the following week I was on treadmill and stationery bike. Doing the exercises is most important not just at PT. The surgery I think lasted 1 1/2 hours. But they couldn't keep my bp up in recovery room so was there 3 hours. (they told me to take my blood pressure meds before surgery--wont do that again) My blood sugars got out of wack cuzz the nurses were not the greatest...they wanted their way, not what I usually do. I have to have my left one done next as soon as I have enough sick and vacation time.
By the way I went back to work at 3 weeks post op
Chris
dayna wrote:

My husband has been advised on knee replacement surgery. He has problems with his right knee since he was student. Anyway, he is diabetic