I too have nerve damage after my left THR 9/9/08.  My right THR on 10/8/05 went off without a hitch.  The nerve damage was not noticed until the day after the surgery.  My surgeon (the same for both procedure) ordered a special brace to support the dropped foot.  I could not get on a pair of my own shoes on that foot had to wear my husbands due to swelling.  My foot felt like a block of ice.  I kept stomping it to try to get it to wake up I could not get comfortable in any position for long.  My hip was great just a lot of pain in my outside calf below the knee down through my foot.  Needle pinpricks and shooting pains - I was hopeful that this meant the feeling was trying to come back.  After about 3 weeks I went to my osteopathic doctor for adjustment of my neck and back after being laid up with the surgery and in-home physicaltherapy  for 2 weeks.  When she found out about my nerve damage she began manipulations on my lower leg and foot - some of the most painful treatments I have ever had however this began loosening up the muscles and ligaments and tendons and gradually (3 months of 2 - 3 appointments a week) alleviating some of the pain in the calf (I think she said something about thinks being twisted).  I also had the support of a wonderful physicaltherapist with a specialty in myo-fascial release and he took me through my post operative hip  therapy.  I was unable to lift my leg behind me from the knee having no control either standing or laying face down.  After 6 weeks of pt 3 times a week straining and practicing at home on off days and a lot of crying and a burst blood vessel in my eye from straining I FINALLY did it I would cry because he was so hard on me but by gosh I was going to do it and I did thanks to him.  I left the area for 3 months and found another pt with myo-fascial specialty and continued with him.  I returned to my home area and picked back up on a pt eval  - no one can ever say what will happen definitely - I continue to have hope 4 years later.  I had no information about nerve testing but was blessed to have my osteopath and physical therapist who pushed me and continue to be a support.  I still have numbness from mid calf throughout my outer foot with tightness and painful constriction.   I can move my toes up and down as a group and it continue to try to stretch and work the area to regain mobility.  My ankle was totally weak and I have done single leg foot raises to Improve strength  first using my good foot as a measure of how many I could do and every day trying for more on the bad foot.  My pelvis frequently goes out causing distortion in leg length and my osteopath with manipulation corrects imbalance  - I am working on strengthening to prevent this issue.  I quit using the leg brace after my 3 months of physical therapy by constant, repetitive foot lifts and extensions - my foot is not perfect but I think I have trained myself to lift it as I walk.  My leg still is weaker on theoutside and movement to the left is less sure.  My balance was the pits but my pt recommended a wii and the balance games have been a definite help at first I had to have a chair for support but after all this time it has gotten much better.  My surgeon was no help and I was his last THR and he is an excellent surgeon I guess I was just "the one" so I had no intention of suing but when I went to follow up appts and recounted my efforts to rehab he was extremely glad to see my recovery but seemed to discount the other helps and said "well if you think that helped".    The only advice I would offer is to keep searching, keep working on it and don't give up on yourself or your leg.

Hi i had a hip replacement on may  23 th on my right leg i have had the nerves tested i have the same as you  from foot to knee in hinde sight i wish to god i had put up with the pain  i think the surgean should tell you the risks of this happening i were my husbands shoes as none of mine fit me i use a walking frame to get about my physio has been  great i have  yet to see the surgeon who did my op  my right foot is drop.t and all down one side of my leg i feel like i have a tight strap beteen my toes and heal pulling upwards  i carn.t sleep just cat nap  i was always on the go before i had the op my  left hips bad to but i will just keep takeing pain killers not a chance in hell would i have the op again with what i no now  i go and see my surgean in october to see if there is out he can do i have tryed wereing a boot but i was in alot off pain with it as i can not put my heal down to the floor i walk on the side off my foot i toes are curling under  and my big toe has startied to turn in i am truley as sick as a pig  so minnie just to let you no your not the only one pet i hope all gos well for you  mrs W

some say the need for knee and hip replacements is because of brain damage or cns damage in the first place.