I know that hypothyroidism is a condition in which the body lacks sufficient thyroid hormone. I have also heart that the main purpose of thyroid hormone is to keep metabolism normal. That is why I guess that people with this condition will have symptoms associated with a slow metabolism. I want to know if that is true, and I would like to hear more about hypothyroidism symptoms.

I have to say that many people have this common medical condition, and probably ten percent of women may have some degree of thyroid hormone deficiency. Hypothyroidism is more common than people wants to believe, and millions of people are currently hypothyroid and do not know it. Each individual patient will have any number of different symptoms. Those hypothyroid symptoms will vary with the severity of the thyroid hormone deficiency and the length of disease. Some patients will have one kind of symptoms as their main complaint, while another will not have that problem at all. However, most hypothyroid patients will have a combination of a number of typical symptoms. Occasionally, some patients with hypothyroidism have no symptoms at all, which is why people commonly are not diagnosed. Now I would tell you the main symptoms are fatigue, weakness, weight gain, dry skin and hair loss. Those are most commonly reported hypothyroid symptoms. Treatment of hypothyroidism can be quite easy in some individuals, but others will have a difficult time finding the right type and amount of replacement thyroid hormone.

Hi fulvia,

Symptoms of hypothyroidism are as follows:

fatigue
weakness
weight gain or increased difficulty losing weight
coarse, dry hair
hair loss
cold intolerance
muscle cramps and frequent muscle aches
constipation
depression
memory loss
abnormal menstrual cycles
decreased libido

One other factor should be considered if hypo, and that is your cholesterol levels. People who have even mildly high levels of TSH, may have elevated elevated blood cholesterol levels, according to the 75th Annual Meeting of the American Thyroid Association. "This finding is important because elevated blood TSH levels are present in 5 percent of the total adult US population and in about 10 percent of those over age 60," said Elizabeth N. Pearce, MD, lead author of the study and instructor of medicine at Boston Medical Center and Boston University School of Medicine in Boston. "Moreover, there is no clear consensus at present on whether patients with mildly elevated TSH should be treated with thyroid hormone."

The bottom line here is what your TSH levels are along with a complete blood lipid panel to determine your specific line of treatment.

Also, in closing there is a new TSH test level that refutes the old standard. A few years back the accepted TSH level range was from .5 to 5.0
Today, the new levels are .3 to 3.0

to your good health,
paulygrl