Hi, I'm 36 years old and I have been suffering from obesity for a long period of time now. Ever since I got pregnant and gotten my first child my body weight has been increasing. I have tried many diets and none of them showed any long term effect on the weight. Recently I read somewhere on the internet that a medicine called Sythroid can be used to increase ones metabolism and by doing that decrease the weight. Is it safe to use Sythroid for these purposes and what are possible unwanted effects?

Sythroid is a synthetic replacement for thyroid hormones, it is actually a form of T4 called Levothyroxine which is later converted in the body to thyroxine and triiodthyronine – the natural thyroid hormones. These hormones are strong stimulators of metabolism and are used to control most of the bodies function, the increase or decrease of these hormones has some kind of an effect on every single tissue in the body. The primary use of Sythroid is not to treat obesity but to be the replacement for the natural T3 and T4 in people with hypothyroidism. If used in for any other purpose than intended it could pose a great hazard for the health of the person who’s taking it. By taking synthetic hormones if you are healthy you are causing serious irregularities in the functioning of your body that can be even fatal for you. If you want to lose weight it is the best that you do it by exercise and increased physical activity, in general there are no magic formulas that would just “melt” the fat away, it can be only short term effect and the therapies such as this one with Synthroid can be very dangerous. It would be good to consult your doctor about your obesity problem in order to try to find an acceptable solution for it.