hi

My sister is suffering from chronic kidney disease or renal failure,its been two months since we have discovered this.since then she was on haemodialysis thrice a week,but she was having lot of problems like shivering,fever etc,so we moved her to [CAPD] peritoneal dialysis past fifteen days.I would like to know if stem cell can help in curing kidney disease,we are looking up with hope as we dont want to opt for cadaver kidney transplant because of high rate of rejections.please help me know whether we can hope to rely on stem cell treatment to help her cure completely and be off dialysis as she is young and needs to get back to her normal life, is it proved or still in the research stage? & if any how long will it take to be used? thnx, waitin for your reply.

HI, 
I'm so sorry your sister has to suffer from this terrible disease, but also, from what I know, stem cell treatments are far from developed to the proportion where they could actually replace the function of an entire organ such as the kidneys. Most of those methods are very experimental and are far from being actually applicable in cases such where is a complete organ failure. Unfortunately, kidney diseases are not even on the list of potential diseases treatable with stem cells.
Kidney transplants, on the other hand, have been done for decades and are advanced even more, so, considering these two options, transplant definitely, despite the risk, is the more realistic one.
Hope I helped.

Even though I can feel your worry, I myself (who has had kidney disease since I was a kid) would be hesitant on stem cell therapy as of yet as it has not be researched long enough or tested long enough. Read this: https://www.steadyhealth.com/articles/Ten_Things_about_Stem_Cell_Transplants_Potential_Recipients_Need_to_Know_a1949.html

Also as far as the "high rate of rejection" for kidney transplants I have had 2 in my life so far - the first one lasting 11 great years. The longest transplant on record is recorded as lasting more than 30 years. It is not as high as you think with the advancement of the medications they now use with less side effects than they used to have.

Hey, sorry to hear your sister's illnesscondition. Hope this still helps. Stem cells, as a whole, are still in the research. However, some countries such as Mexico, China and some others are allowed to perform stem cell treatment. One thing still need your attention is although it may workable and have the potential to treat or even cure your sister's renal failure, there still stands a big risk.
I can see from your message is that you don't want to live with dialysis forever, which is absolutely right, and that's why you actively seek out a second opinion. I may help you. 

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** private e-mails not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use