A relative of mine has been informed that he actually already has lung cancer stage 4. Going from nothing to lung cancer stage 4 is a lot! I really do wonder why he was not diagnosed earlier, and I think there is not much that any doctor can do for him at this stage of cancer. I won't go into the feelings that go with this kind of information, but I will say that information is something that would be of great help to me right now. I am especially interested in knowing more about the life expectancy of patients with lung cancer stage 4.

You are not alone in asking this question - it is the one thing everyone wants to know. The answer to your question is not straight forward - a person's life expectancy depends on many factors. There are too many to go into in a short post, but a patient's age, location of the cancer, and health other than the cancer, all go into it. What I am able to say with certainty, is that the vast majority of people with a diagnosis of lung cancer stage 4 do not live for more than five years from the time the diagnosis was first made. There are exceptions to this rule, but not many.