My sister has been diagnosed with myelodysplastic syndrome. I was hoping for some suggestions. I don’t know anything about this syndrome. She is a woman and she started with some drug treatment for now.

My mother has been living with myelofibrosis for the past 7 years and now also with myelodisplastic syndrome. She has been getting weekly procrit shots but they don't seem to be doing much and blood transfusions have increased to 2-3 a month. I know there's no cure, but I don't want to just give up.

My Friend was diagnosed in Dec. 2009 and they just started her on the Vidaza treatment last week. She is also on the Bone Marrow Transplant registry. The Dr. told her that if everything goes well with the transplant, her life expectancy is 30-40 years. She is 44 now. She is undergoing Vidaza treatments to stabilize her, until they find a donor. How old is your Mom? I imagine treatments vary with age and the stage of her MDS
Don't give up! Good Luck :